uniqs
share rss forum feed

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to mackey

Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

While I'm glad Comcast is going to give out a /60, and I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but you're saying 295,147,905,179,352,825,856 IPv6 addresses just won't be enough for say 256 real / virtual devices in the home?

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by AVonGauss:

While I'm glad Comcast is going to give out a /60, and I'm not trying to pick on you personally, but you're saying 295,147,905,179,352,825,856 IPv6 addresses just won't be enough for say 256 real / virtual devices in the home?

Each VLAN or routed segment should be a /64 for the foreseeable future (netstacks stink, even without SLAAC in use). Which is why some segment (edit: network-pun unintended) of Comcast's residential users will need a /60.

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
Oh I'm sure we can come up with all sorts of nifty ways to use routable IPv6 segments, but from the home user perspective, I think most other than a truly isolated guest network are probably more a product of tinkering rather than a definable need. I think Comcast's approach of providing additional routable segments only to those that request and know how to with DHCP-PD to be a very good compromise. Its far more than I personally was expecting from any decently sized residential provider to offer.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:13
said by AVonGauss:

Its far more than I personally was expecting from any decently sized residential provider to offer.

On Uverse, AT&T offers a /60 for each IPv4 address you have.

/M

AVonGauss
Premium
Boynton Beach, FL
said by mackey:

On Uverse, AT&T offers a /60 for each IPv4 address you have.

/M

I wasn't aware that U-verse was offering native IPv6 at this point, though admittedly I don't follow it as closely as I once did. If they are now offering it to residential U-verse subscribers that is good news indeed. We might just get this IPv6 migration thing done in under two decades after all.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
said by AVonGauss:

I wasn't aware that U-verse was offering native IPv6 at this point, though admittedly I don't follow it as closely as I once did. If they are now offering it to residential U-verse subscribers that is good news indeed. We might just get this IPv6 migration thing done in under two decades after all.

It isn't native yet. They're using 6RD.