viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
join:2002-07-09
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Recommendation on router board with fiber

Need one for our headend router but I also need it to have a fiber connection on it for Multi-Mode 62.5/125 with SC connectors. I can also go from LC to SC if needed correct? If there is a router board solution already out there what Gbic fiber module will the unit support?

I can also go with an X86 option but I need to find a card supported by Mikrotik OS if anyone has some options that are not to expensive I would appreciate it. I am leaning X86 on a nice 1U or 2U server with a PCI card for the fiber and a couple Nic cards for everything else.

Thanks

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

There are a bunch of the Intel fibre Nics that are supported but There is the CCR series and the RB2011 that have cages for SFPs
bairdmj
join:2009-12-30

bairdmj to viperm

to viperm
Yep, your options are either CCR or 2011 if you don't want x86.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Which SFP modules will work in the cages on the 2011?

Thanks

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak

Premium Member

said by viperm:

Which SFP modules will work in the cages on the 2011?

Thanks

Probably a whack load but there is a confirmed hardware list on the mikrotik wiki

TomS_
Git-r-done
MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK

TomS_ to viperm

MVM

to viperm
Other options include a media converter, or a switch with a SFP/GBIC port.

You can buy all sorts of patch leads with different combinations of connectors. If your fibre is delivered on a patch panel with SC connectors, but you are using an SFP which uses LC, then you just buy a patch lead with SC on one end and LC on the other - pretty common and nothing special.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Anyone know where I can get a RB2011RM on the West Coast I need it for this Thursday..

100 Meg circuit being turned up YUMMY!!
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to viperm

to viperm
I wouldn't use one of those to demarc a 100meg fiber port. They're a little under powered if you're looking to do anything other than straight routing on that port. If you're doing any QoS or firewalling magic, then I'd stick to an RB-1100AH or higher.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

I need something with a SFP port so I can put in a fiber module..
I dont want to have to put in a media convertor but if I have to then I guess I will have to go that route..

Thanks
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to viperm

to viperm
I'd prefer go with the media converter / RB-1100AH route if you're going to be doing any form of manipulation on that unit.

I've noticed the 2011 series isn't all that strong once you start doing some QoS and packet mangling (Not doing any L7 either). It's pretty much the same as an RB-450G in terms of horsepower.

viperm
Carpe Diem
Premium Member
Winchester, CA

viperm

Premium Member

Alrighty then I will go that route.. I have several options for sourcing that unit on the West coast.

Thanks

Jerm
join:2000-04-10
Richland, WA
·Ziply Fiber

Jerm

x86 vs RB debate:

I have always wondered what the "actual" performance of RB hardware was with their PPC CPUs.

Looking at the RB1100AH CPU:

MPC8533E - 2,240 MIPS at 1.0 GHz (estimated Dhrystone 2.1)

Compared to x86:

Intel Pentium III 2,054 MIPS at 600 MHz
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 (Dual core) 27,079 MIPS at 2.93 GHz
Intel Core i7 2600K 128,300 MIPS at 3.4 GHz

I just know I run my home network off a Pentium 266MMX IBM Thin Client running m0n0wall and see about 1% CPU load per mbps with no shaping. Not sure how the MT OS handles things... All my messing with "big boy" stuff is Cisco so you get custom ASICs which render MHZ/MIPS comparisons useless...

(references)
»www.freescale.com/webapp ··· MPC8533E
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In ··· r_second