uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to hyelton

Re: Internet Issues

I have Northland's 24/2 plan on a DOCSIS 2.0 modem.

--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to heels_fan

said by heels_fan:

If his CableCo would fix his downstream levels, it would get his upstream a little more respectable.

He has a direct drop to tap, no splits and possibly no ground block:
said by hyelton :
I DONT think its anything to do with at my house as The Cable to runs into my Modem runs directly out a window and to the power line and always has.
Most systems are designed to have at least a 2 or 4 way splitter installed for proper levels. Areas with larger homes are designed with bigger splitters in mind. Areas with long distance between the tap and the home also get such levels. In this case, install an 8-way splitter or 10dB attenuator in and the signals will be pretty good for down and upstream.
said by heels_fan:

Wonder why the downstream freqs are not in 6Mhz steps?

They are in 6 Mhz steps (93 99, 105, 111), they're just not listed in frequency order.

I'd like to see the logs of the modems. It may help shed some light on the modem sync losses.
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
reply to hyelton

I thought I'd mention my Northland has been dropping as low as 3mbps during prime time.

I'm on the 24/2 plan with a owned DOCSIS 2.0 modem.
--

hyelton

join:2008-02-29
Rutherfordton, NC
reply to whamel

Oh bealive me its not Overcrowded here haha. Small Town 75% of the people are on cruddy DSL cause they dont know the difference. and in my ENTIRE country I use the Most Bandwidth than any home here (They showed me their system and I was the TOP user) haha. I avg about 300-400 gigs a month. (I do have about 25 devices connected) And everyone elses average in this area is about 20GB a month. lol. and Some are around 5GB a month.

astroturf

join:2012-04-07

In their website it says "Internet services limited to 250 GB per month. Monthly usage in excess of limit may result in excess data transfer fee of $20.00"

I've gone over 250GB a few times and never have been charged the $20. Have they ever charged you for it?

hyelton

join:2008-02-29
Rutherfordton, NC

NOPE haha never been charged. I think that applyied to there 12meg service but I still never seen it

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
reply to hyelton

said by hyelton:

Oh bealive me its not Overcrowded here haha. Small Town 75% of the people are on cruddy DSL cause they dont know the difference. and in my ENTIRE country I use the Most Bandwidth than any home here (They showed me their system and I was the TOP user) haha. I avg about 300-400 gigs a month. (I do have about 25 devices connected) And everyone elses average in this area is about 20GB a month. lol. and Some are around 5GB a month.

Yep, same here, I'm the only house connected to the tap serving the section. Next tap down I think has just one connected to it also. All the SSID's I see on Wifi are all defaults of DSL modems.

3mbps is the max DSL speed available in this area of town.

--

astroturf

join:2012-04-07

The tap at my house only has 2 ports on it and I'm the only one connected to it. They seem to have them at almost every house.

Around half the SSIDs I see here are DSL. DSL here was recently upgraded to 6 or 12mbps but everyone I've seen with DSL only has 3.

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect

said by astroturf:

The tap at my house only has 2 ports on it and I'm the only one connected to it. They seem to have them at almost every house.

Around half the SSIDs I see here are DSL. DSL here was recently upgraded to 6 or 12mbps but everyone I've seen with DSL only has 3.

Each tap here covers 4 houses, most of the drops are still hanging, just none connected. Every house on the street has a satellite on it, Northland's HDTV offerings are a joke.
--