share rss forum feed

aryoba
Premium,MVM
join:2002-08-22
kudos:4
reply to DarkLogix

Re: [HELP] Cisco NewB with console cable, ASA-5505 & much grief,

said by DarkLogix:

Any solution to be deployed in a work enviro would have to met best practices. And just a test lab that shows it can work might not be enough vetting to find that 1-in-a-1000 bug that could crash the network.

Funny, enough some vendor simply uses simple lab environment (i.e. back-to-back cable) instead of using actual circuits (i.e. DWDM or long-hauls) as QA prior releasing new equipments. We actually hit an image bug on this new equipments, just because we use real-world DWDM circuit; causing the vendor had to release official bug and fix in their next image release to remediate the issue (no, we did not get our money back due to production-time loss)

said by DarkLogix:

Personaly I'm at a place that uses juniper, and well due to it juniper has made a awful impression on me.

So for now I mess with my cisco gear at home.

With Juniper gears (such as routers, switches, or firewalls); it would be a stable and powerful equipment without running new features (i.e. stick with JUNOS 11.x is more likely to keep stability instead of running 12.x). This mindset also applies to IOS 12.4 compared to 15.x whenever possible.

At home though, I ran JUNOS 12.x to monitor its stability. On newer Cisco gears, we ran the 15.x IOS on production network and so far it is still stable.

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to tubbynet

said by tubbynet:

said by DarkLogix:

Personaly I'm at a place that uses juniper, and well due to it juniper has made a awful impression on me.

So for now I mess with my cisco gear at home.

the ex-series is a little half-baked -- but most of the bugs are solved for simpler switching, etc. when you start running mpls bits on top, then it gets interesting.

Due to stability, you are not supposed to use the EX series for MPLS since it is a job for the MX series. Of course, some people may have different idea

aryoba
Premium,MVM
reply to cramer

said by cramer:

That was a very different era. Things are alot more complicated today, and "newbs" that much farther behind. (and there are too many people willing to pay lawyers when things go wrong than engineers to make it right from the start.)

I have seen too many companies like such nowdays unfortunately

tubbynet
reminds me of the danse russe
Premium,MVM
join:2008-01-16
Chandler, AZ
kudos:1
reply to aryoba

said by aryoba:

Due to stability, you are not supposed to use the EX series for MPLS since it is a job for the MX series. Of course, some people may have different idea

considering that juniper has no answer for the me3600/me3800 -- juniper users are turning to things like the ex4500/4550 for parity.

iirc -- this model supports more than one label at imposition -- making it suitable for vpnv4 bits. i think the ex4200 and smaller support only a single push/pop operation -- making them relatively useless in the mpls world.

q.
--
"...if I in my north room dance naked, grotesquely before my mirror waving my shirt round my head and singing softly to myself..."

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to tubbynet

SRX240H routers and EX4200 switches (with full 48port gig POE)
with the SRX doing the intervlan routing with a 3 port LACP

then they've crashed pretty hard alot.
--
»Death Star Petition