OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

2 recommendations

OZO to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

If you don't want to offer your app for free, don't offer it for free. Isn't that simple? Obviously, others have a different POV on that. Offering your app for free doesn't give you any right to make life of its user miserable... If you disagree with that, please remove your app form offering to public. BTW, I do some development and offer my programs for free without that trash (ads). And I can assure you, that I thought through it and I don't have any regrets about that choice.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Good job, OZO!
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to OZO

Premium Member

to OZO
If you were buying the app, you'd be (more) correct. But you are not buying it... it's not yours. You are licensed to use it. But this is not the point in question anyway.

You release your apps free and without ads.... great! Still not the point.

I'll be more clear... if a developer spends a lot of their time making an app and, rather then charge people, feel it's more appropriate to make their revenue from ads... this is their right. By bypassing the ads you _are_ screwing over the developer so that they cannot earn something for their hard work. Most apps will have a free version with ads and a pay version. If you feel the app is worth is, pay for it to avoid the ads. But by using the free app and blocking the ads you are simply going to drive that developer out of the biz. Let's also be real... the ads are not killing use of any apps. Right now I'm using the free version of an alarm app. It has ads. When am I going to view them? When I'm sleeping? The only time I even know they are there is when I reach over and hit the snooze button... 3 or 4 times in the morning. If I did not like the ads, I'd pay the developer the dollar or two and avoid them.

But if you cannot afford to pay a developer a dollar for a good app and would rather drive them out of the biz, then feel free to use apps for free and bypass the ads.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

Happy medium is Hola. It's a web accelerator and cache. If the same few ads are contantly fetched, Hola will cache it and mitigate most of the data usage. I block ads because of abusive systems like Airpush, but make it a point to buy an app if I really like it. Besides, most paid versions add useful features.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine to OZO

to OZO
said by OZO:

Offering your app for free doesn't give you any right to make life of its user miserable

There is where you go wrong. Minor annoyance maybe, but "miserable" is hyperbole.