uniqs
share rss forum feed

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1

why would you want a stick shift?

quote:
An attempted stickup was confounded by a car’s stick shift, when would-be carjackers failed to understand the mechanics behind a manual transmission.
»news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ca···818.html
--
Wacky Races 2012!

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

My pickup has a stick plus it has no power steering. Was a very base model when it first was manufactured.
If someone else drives it the no powering steering gets them before the stick. Tell me my steering in parking lots is broken but fine at speed.

Irun Man
Live with fire
Premium
join:2002-10-18
Walden, NY
reply to aurgathor

One of my subs has a late model Subaru Outback wagon with a six speed stick... a rare find, she's a farm girl and gets interesting comments when her daughter's friends ride along like "Mrs. W, what are you doing?".
--
I turned on my computer for this?

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911

join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA
reply to aurgathor

My 06 Tiburon Has a 6 speed.

Wife and daughter "wont" drive a manual....

Match made in heaven if you ask me!
--
Protect your right to keep and arm bears!

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4
reply to aurgathor

Why? Because nothing feel better than driving a manual transmission. It really connects you to the car. It gives a better driving experience for me.

It doesn't suprise me that some robbers failed to understand it. I think younger people are getting further away from learning how to drive manual cars.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
reply to aurgathor

That is great.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to aurgathor

The only time I want a stick shift is in a sports car.
--
Romney - Ryan 2012
Christie 2016

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
reply to aurgathor

Seem to hear about situations like this quite often. Thieves are dumb, in more ways than one.

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to aurgathor

in a sports car or pickup truck I think a stick is fine.

in my daily driver sedan I will stick with my automatic. Though at least I know stick and it seems like it is similar to a bike, once you learn you always know.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to nonymous

My first car ('71 Ford Maverick) had stick shift, manual steering, and no power brakes. (drums front and rear). That was a fairly light weight car, so I didn't miss them. However, PS and PB are likely to be more useful in heavier vehicles. A bit later I also had a '72 Ford LTD, and once the engine stalled when I was beginning to turn.... that was a rather scary experience.

In the Maverick I could turn off the engine without losing anything important.

--
Wacky Races 2012!

Grimm

join:2011-05-23
reply to aurgathor

I finally learned stick a few years ago and never plan to go back to auto.

A simple 15 min drive to and from work are now fun and engaging. I can see where it depends on the type of car though.

It's definitely a skill that seems to get less and less attention nowadays.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
reply to aurgathor

I prefer manual transmissions for more than the obvious reasons.
Just this morning some asshole was tailgating me, and I do not drive slowly. After the light we had stopped for turned green, I took my sweet-ass time shifting into each next gear.

Grimm

join:2011-05-23

1 recommendation

I enjoy down-shifting and not using my brakes at all when coming to a stop and watching the idiot on the phone behind me have to slam on his brakes because he wasn't paying attention to the slowly diminishing space in front of him.
--
Slydermv--In short.. hookers save lives.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

The only time I want a stick shift is in a sports car.

They are also nice in a 4X4 vehicle for many reasons.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
reply to aurgathor

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that's a stick. It's a fun little car with the optional 2.5l engine. Paddle shifters are nowhere near the same kind of fun.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

Bob Anderson

join:2001-05-05
Ottawa, ON
reply to aurgathor

I used to own many stick shift cars but in the '80's I decided to do very long driving vacations once a year. At that time the only way to get cruise control was with an automatic, so I bought an '86 Mustang GT 4-speed auto with cruise. I have had 7 auto's since then, the latest being a '10 Mustang GT with 5-speed auto.

-Bob

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

1 recommendation

reply to Chinabound

said by Chinabound:

I prefer manual transmissions for more than the obvious reasons.

Same here. I've been driving a stick since the mid 80s.

said by Chinabound:

Just this morning some asshole was tailgating me, and I do not drive slowly. After the light we had stopped for turned green, I took my sweet-ass time shifting into each next gear.

I've done the same thing. Sometimes when I get tailgaters, I just let off the accelerator and use the clutch to slow her down, and that gets their attention real quick.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to aurgathor

Many other good reasons not yet mentioned but it is good to know it might be a theft deterrent...

Just start yelling it is a manual when they try and get in...
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
reply to aurgathor

said by aurgathor:

quote:
An attempted stickup was confounded by a car’s stick shift, when would-be carjackers failed to understand the mechanics behind a manual transmission.
»news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/ca···818.html

Because it is mechanical connection to the drive train and can also be roll-started if the battery becomes discharged, unlike an automatic trans that has to wait for help to be jumped off.

High performance vehicles like this example below that originally had no option for an automatic.

Cadillac CTS-V
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cadillac_CTS-V
quote:
First generation (2004–2007)

Transmission and drive train

The only available transmission was the six-speed manual Tremec T56. The transmission used the skip-shift feature to conserve fuel during light loads by preventing drivers from using the second and third gears, and a dual mass flywheel to reduce "rattle" in no load conditions. The rear axle was a Getrag limited slip IRS unit with a 3.73:1 ratio.
Plus there is the anti-theft feature as the article you posted shows now that Drivers Education isn't taught in high schools anymore.

Also there is a huge increase in people of both sexes that can't change a tire, don't know how to check their tire air pressures or their under-hood fluids (oil, trans, washer fluid, coolant, etc) as no-one has shown them the basics that a high school drivers education class used to do for future drivers.

I personally enjoy driving a manual.

The 10 Best Cars That Still Offer a Manual Transmission (not my list, but a good list still)
»editorial.autos.msn.com/the-10-b···smission
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Manufacturers are slowly getting rid of ways to check fluids like oil....

BTW - I took drivers ed from a high school in 1983 or so - no one showed us how to check the fluid levels - dads did that.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to aurgathor

I am not fond of those dual mass flywheels.

Way too expensive for service/repair, and they introduce another point of failure.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..

1 edit
reply to aurgathor

The only type of car I truly enjoy or would buy if all options were available to me is a high-performance 2 or 4 door sedan with a V8. Now if I was still young and where I drove there was seldom heavy traffic and plenty of winding roads a manual would be fine. But...none of those conditions exist so the auto is a must. Easing the transition from manual to auto is that the top automatic shifters are so much more efficient and in some models actually quicker than the manual makes it even better.

But we're all different and for car lovers you've got to love what you drive so go for whatever you love and don't let any other considerations, good or bad, change your mind!
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to aurgathor

I like manual because it is part of the experience of controlling and enjoying driving. I like to feel the road through the seat, feedback from steering and braking.
I'd bet if a car company built a bare bones, high horsepower vehicle without the bells and whistles they couldn't build them fast enough for demand.

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

I have always preferred manual for the performance. But in big city stop and go driving it pretty much has lost its appeal. The new manual/autos are looking promising though for performance ans ease.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to aurgathor

It used to be that a stick cost less and got better gas mileage than an automatic. But now the manufacturers charge the same and the automatic transmissions are just as efficient. (At least this applies to my car.)

So the only real reason to get a stick is that it's easier to drive in the snow. The downside is that it's a pain in the neck leg when driving in stop and go traffic.

I would have liked to get a stick for my car, but the dealer said they only see about 2 manual transmission cars per year. So I'd probably have to wait months to get it, with no guarantee of getting it even them.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

Actually, with some cars stick still costs a little less.

And I've actually seen at least one car where the base models with AT were more expensive, but there were no difference in case of the upscale model.

In my case, the vehicle I drive wasn't even available with stick shift (for that particular engine, a 351W), although in theory I can get a 5 speed tranny and other needed parts out of a F250/F350 and install it myself.

Lastly, I agree on stop-and-go traffic. It really sucks, even with AT.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
reply to CylonRed

said by CylonRed:

Many other good reasons not yet mentioned but it is good to know it might be a theft deterrent...

Just start yelling it is a manual when they try and get in...

LOL. So true.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Badonkadonk

said by Badonkadonk:

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that's a stick. It's a fun little car with the optional 2.5l engine. Paddle shifters are nowhere near the same kind of fun.

Sedan or hatch?

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to aurgathor

I took driver's ed in the 1990s and they did not teach manual transmissions. you learned on an automatic. the US has always been a more favorable automatic transmission market than Europe. I do agree with a previous poster about a stick being a better manual experience than paddle shifters.

Though I doubt you will ever see F1 or Indy Car go back to a traditional clutch and stick. I am honestly surprised that NASCAR is still clutch and stick.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

When I was a kid far more cars were sold with manuals - auto's were fairly rare and limited to luxury cars (Cadi's) because they were more expensive. This was in the late 60's (and before) to mid to late 70's (even going to the 80's). It has been very recently that automatics were went the way of the manual... I took drivers ed in 83 or so - and they taught a manual.
--
Brian