Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to aurgathor

Re: why would you want a stick shift?

By the way there are some high performance vehicles that are higher performance or quicker with an auto than a stick such as the CTS-V.

Also, F1 cars are semi-automatic, (more efficient and faster than with a manual shift array) and there is a reason that full automatics are BANNED! (And it's not because they would make the cars slower!)

But few things can compare to a car as far as you just have to drive what you like or enjoy. There is an emotional bond between a car and person that truly loves to drive.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

2 edits
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Only by EPA - I can get more MPG from a manual. Manual has a major advantage over the automatic - you shift when you want. I shift early in all of the manuals I drive and I get between 10-15% more MPG than the EPA. If I have to get into the gas then I can shift early after that and mitigate the damage of getting into the throttle - this is pretty much impossible with an automatic.

EPA numbers are a guideline - there is zero guarantee that you will get the MPG on either side but it is a TON easier to beat EPA in a manual by begin smarter when driving.

I am currently getting about 24 MPG around town in my 2001 330i -

quote:
Premium Gasoline
21 Combined
18 City
27 Highway
»www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/16496.shtml

So I am getting about 20% more than the EPA for city - mainly because I can go into 5 the gear at 35 mpg. I also get 30-33 mpg highway at 70 mph - a good deal better than EPA. I can get these numbers with the mid-range gas (89 octane).

If I get on the highway - even for 10 minutes then I can get as much as 25.5 mpg - beating the EPA by even more.

Decided I would update this - have done over 310 miles on the car this last week - a little less than half on the highway - 26.4 mpg. Over 5 mph better than EPA or about 25% better than EPA...

EDIT - for those interested - 346.2 miles driven on 13.189 gallons of gas for 26.249 mpg.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
said by CylonRed:

said by CylonRed:

Only by EPA - I can get more MPG from a manual. Manual has a major advantage over the automatic - you shift when you want. I shift early in all of the manuals I drive and I get between 10-15% more MPG than the EPA. If I have to get into the gas then I can shift early after that and mitigate the damage of getting into the throttle - this is pretty much impossible with an automatic.

EPA numbers are a guideline - there is zero guarantee that you will get the MPG on either side but it is a TON easier to beat EPA in a manual by begin smarter when driving.

quote:
Premium Gasoline
21 Combined
18 City
27 Highway

So I am getting about 20% more than the EPA for city - mainly because I can go into 5 the gear at 35 mpg. I also get 30-33 mpg highway at 70 mph - a good deal better than EPA. I can get these numbers with the mid-range gas (89 octane).

If I get on the highway - even for 10 minutes then I can get as much as 25.5 mpg - beating the EPA by even more.

Decided I would update this - have done over 30010 miles on the car this last week - a little less than half on the highway - 26.4 mpg. Over 5 mph better than EPA or about 25% better than EPA...

30010 miles. That's a lot of driving in a week . . .
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

Yes - a very large gas tank as well - towed in a streamlined trailer behind the bar. Glad I don't need a CDL to drive it....

I hate this new keyboard....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to aurgathor
Here's a stick shift I'd like:

»driverselect.com/2009-BMW-328-Da···13277149
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to SimbaTLK1
There ya go! Minimal stuff and outperforms most cars and bikes in real driving situations. Rain and bugs would be a problem though.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Manufacturers are slowly getting rid of ways to check fluids like oil...

I only check them before a long trip

I have 5,000 miles on my current oil Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15,000-mile

stuff is fairly expensive around $50 total per oil change

said by CylonRed:

quote:
Premium Gasoline
21 Combined
18 City
27 Highway

25MPG Combined on my impala.
I get about 35mpg highway with Premium Gasoline (91 octane) @ 75-80mph that is with a 4 speed automatic .

city is about 20-22 or so. V6 3.8L

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to aurgathor
one thing I like about my current car, I do not have to run it on 93(premium) even though it has a turbo. Manual says regular. It does suggest something called Top Tier, but I use Wawa and well that is likely the same thing.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by Kearnstd:

one thing I like about my current car, I do not have to run it on 93(premium) even though it has a turbo. Manual says regular. It does suggest something called Top Tier, but I use Wawa and well that is likely the same thing.

Walmart gas is the worst gas you can use, it IS NOT on the top tier list.

I would use Chevron, Shell, or Conoco.

»www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
--

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
I have to agree here also. All gasoline is certainly not the same. I don't think the occasional tank of crap will kill the car, but we always buy the top tier listed gas for our cars unless we have no choice. That happens once every 15-20 tankfuls when we travel to Indiana and Speedway is about the only place around that's convenient on the highway.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to aurgathor
Wawa is not walmart. They are however a major gas station operation in NJ and western PA.

seems a google search says they get their gas from Exxon or BP.

Actually I never knew Walmart even had gas stations, Figured they would not sell gas since i dunno if they can import that from China.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
WalMart, Kroger, Costco all can sell gas...

TheTechGuru

TEXAS
Reviews:
·HughesNet Satell..
·WesTex Connect
said by CylonRed:

WalMart, Kroger, Costco all can sell gas...

The Kroger near me don't sell gas (I think they're too close to the lake for underground tanks to be allowed to be installed) so they've teamed up with the local Shells to allow fuel points to be redeemed there.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
They have teamed up with Shell everywhere - our local Shells do Kroger points as well. ... But I still get gas at Krogers.
--
Brian