Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd

Re: why would you want a stick shift?

said by Kearnstd:

I took driver's ed in the 1990s and they did not teach manual transmissions.

I took driver's ed in the 1970s and they did not teach manual transmissions. Many year earlier (1940s? 50s?), New Jersey had manual/automatic indications on their drivers licenses. If you took the driving test in an automatic, you could only legally drive automatics.

Kids these days are lazy and don't even want sticks.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

said by Bob4:

Kids these days are lazy and don't even want sticks.

As with most generalizations ...

My youngest son learned on a stick. When it came time for his first car, only those with a manual transmission were considered. His choice, not mine.

CGMason14
Nj Roaddog
join:2002-07-22
Mountainside, NJ

CGMason14 to Bob Anderson

to Bob Anderson
said by Bob Anderson:

I used to own many stick shift cars but in the '80's I decided to do very long driving vacations once a year. At that time the only way to get cruise control was with an automatic, so I bought an '86 Mustang GT 4-speed auto with cruise.

This was likely a package limitation. My 1987 Audi 4000 quattro (available since 1984) had cruise control (vacuum servo system) and it was only available with a 5-speed manual. If you wanted all wheel drive in an Audi, your only choice was a 5-speed until the early 90s. Even then it was limited to the bigger, more expensive, models.

Speaking of package limitations, many cars today force you to get an automatic if you want anything above the stripper basic model. Its very annoying.

lotusracer
Premium Member
join:1999-11-26
Moline, IL

lotusracer to I AM

Premium Member

to I AM
said by I AM:

Why? Because nothing feel better than driving a manual transmission. It really connects you to the car. It gives a better driving experience for me.

exactly!

NOCTech75
Premium Member
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I like my sequential, in Atlanta traffic I really don't want a clutch.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to CGMason14

Premium Member

to CGMason14
said by CGMason14:

said by Bob Anderson:

I used to own many stick shift cars but in the '80's I decided to do very long driving vacations once a year. At that time the only way to get cruise control was with an automatic, so I bought an '86 Mustang GT 4-speed auto with cruise.

This was likely a package limitation. My 1987 Audi 4000 quattro (available since 1984) had cruise control (vacuum servo system) and it was only available with a 5-speed manual. If you wanted all wheel drive in an Audi, your only choice was a 5-speed until the early 90s. Even then it was limited to the bigger, more expensive, models.

Speaking of package limitations, many cars today force you to get an automatic if you want anything above the stripper basic model. Its very annoying.

I noticed that a few years ago when looking at cars, Mainly pickup trucks that any of the V8 models were Automatic only.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

1 recommendation

I AM

Premium Member

I can see why in big trucks. It could be a pain. But in sportier cars you have to HAVE to have a manual. It should be a MAN LAW. If you don't know how to drive a manual you should have your MAN CARD revoked.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

I do not think being able to drive manual makes anybody more manly though.

However... If someone buys a sports car with an automatic they should have their man card revoked. A proper sports car is manually shifted with a stick.

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

said by Kearnstd:

You crazy!?!?! Let say you met Chuck Norris. Chuck asks you, "Can you drive manual?" What would the only answer be? YES.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

NOCTech75 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

However... If someone buys a sports car with an automatic they should have their man card revoked. A proper sports car is manually shifted with a stick.

So a Ferrari 458 is not a proper sports car?
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
said by NOCTech75:

said by 67845017:

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that's a stick. It's a fun little car with the optional 2.5l engine. Paddle shifters are nowhere near the same kind of fun.

Sedan or hatch?

Sedan. I bought it at the end of the model year and didn't have much choice, but I did get a good price. Besides, I'm too old to drive a hatchback, although this car was meant for my daughter.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

said by NOCTech75:

said by 67845017:

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that's a stick. It's a fun little car with the optional 2.5l engine. Paddle shifters are nowhere near the same kind of fun.

Sedan or hatch?

Sedan. I bought it at the end of the model year and didn't have much choice, but I did get a good price. Besides, I'm too old to drive a hatchback, although this car was meant for my daughter.

HA! You are never too old for a sporty hatch, I got an '11 2.5, celestial blue. Hatch and BRIGHT.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Nice. They're fun little cars, aren't they? I've really enjoyed it over the last couple of years.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

Yeah they are, love what Mazda has done the past 10 years. The new 6 is REALLY nice and I am not a fan of pure sedans. What I love with the hatch is the versatility.. easily fits my bike or flagging/camping gear with room to spare.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

I agree, Mazda has done some good things over the last few years. This is the first one I've owned and I really like it. I like hatchbacks, but I see too many young people with them in this area. Maybe in a nicer warm area where the versatility comes in handy for the biking and camping gear it makes sense. In cold-ass gray dreary Chicago, I don't think it fits my age.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

That's true... I also got the sunroof, that gets a fair bit of use. Not sure it would get much use in Chicago.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to NOCTech75

Premium Member

to NOCTech75
said by NOCTech75:

said by Kearnstd:

So a Ferrari 458 is not a proper sports car?

I have always figured Ferraris were classed as Super Cars. Though maybe that is not a true separate classification.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

A super car would be a very high-end sports car (both in price, performance and availability). I would not classify all Ferrari's as super cars - the F40 was a Ferrari super car...

I also would not call the Ferrari paddle shifter an 'automatic' as NOC suggests - more based on the F1 tranny where the traditional clutch is activated via hydraulics.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned) to NOCTech75

to NOCTech75
The sunroof I like. That's one of my requirements. Leather, power seats, sunroof, satellite radio and power windows and mirrors. I prefer automatic climate control too The car has all of these, so I do enjoy it.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75 to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
It's not a gated manual w/clutch so therefore per Kearnstd they would have their man card revoked.
NOCTech75

NOCTech75 to 67845017

Premium Member

to 67845017
said by 67845017:

The sunroof I like. That's one of my requirements. Leather, power seats, sunroof, satellite radio and power windows and mirrors. I prefer automatic climate control too The car has all of these, so I do enjoy it.

I didn't get the leather goodies... my active lifestyle would not have been good for it.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Yeah, mine is just a commuter car.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

Loved it today.. mid 60's, beautiful sunny skies, sunroof open, windows down, music blasting... even got to play a bit. Shame I live in an area with nothin but 45's, 2nd gear at 5K RPM is all that is needed.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to 67845017

MVM

to 67845017
Those Mazdas rust faster than cars from the 70s.

Rifleman
Premium Member
join:2004-02-09
p1a

Rifleman to aurgathor

Premium Member

to aurgathor
I have a 05 Focus ST with a 5 speed. It's cheap but a blast to drive. It wouldn't be the same with an automatic.
This topic came to mind when this came up on drive today.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· QSkK8Z8U

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed to Cho Baka

MVM

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

Those Mazdas rust faster than cars from the 70s.

Know several people with Mazda's and no - they don't rust like you think they do.

Asiabound
Ex-Pat
Premium Member
join:2002-12-21
Mabinay

Asiabound

Premium Member

All cars will rust if people are too lazy to rinse them off.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

said by Asiabound:

All cars will rust if people are too lazy to rinse them off.

No one is saying they won't rust... They do not rust as TA thinks - even if not rinsed off often.

NOCTech75
Premium Member
Marietta, GA

NOCTech75

Premium Member

We have been getting plenty of rain to rinse mine off... and more to come.
67845017 (banned)
Naperville, IL

67845017 (banned)

Lucky you aren't further up north.