Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to NOCTech75

Re: why would you want a stick shift?

said by NOCTech75:

said by Badonkadonk:

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that's a stick. It's a fun little car with the optional 2.5l engine. Paddle shifters are nowhere near the same kind of fun.

Sedan or hatch?

Sedan. I bought it at the end of the model year and didn't have much choice, but I did get a good price. Besides, I'm too old to drive a hatchback, although this car was meant for my daughter.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Badonkadonk:

said by NOCTech75:

said by Badonkadonk:

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 that's a stick. It's a fun little car with the optional 2.5l engine. Paddle shifters are nowhere near the same kind of fun.

Sedan or hatch?

Sedan. I bought it at the end of the model year and didn't have much choice, but I did get a good price. Besides, I'm too old to drive a hatchback, although this car was meant for my daughter.

HA! You are never too old for a sporty hatch, I got an '11 2.5, celestial blue. Hatch and BRIGHT.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
Nice. They're fun little cars, aren't they? I've really enjoyed it over the last couple of years.
--

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
Yeah they are, love what Mazda has done the past 10 years. The new 6 is REALLY nice and I am not a fan of pure sedans. What I love with the hatch is the versatility.. easily fits my bike or flagging/camping gear with room to spare.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
I agree, Mazda has done some good things over the last few years. This is the first one I've owned and I really like it. I like hatchbacks, but I see too many young people with them in this area. Maybe in a nicer warm area where the versatility comes in handy for the biking and camping gear it makes sense. In cold-ass gray dreary Chicago, I don't think it fits my age.
--

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
That's true... I also got the sunroof, that gets a fair bit of use. Not sure it would get much use in Chicago.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to NOCTech75
said by NOCTech75:

said by Kearnstd:

I do not think being able to drive manual makes anybody more manly though.

However... If someone buys a sports car with an automatic they should have their man card revoked. A proper sports car is manually shifted with a stick.

So a Ferrari 458 is not a proper sports car?

I have always figured Ferraris were classed as Super Cars. Though maybe that is not a true separate classification.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
A super car would be a very high-end sports car (both in price, performance and availability). I would not classify all Ferrari's as super cars - the F40 was a Ferrari super car...

I also would not call the Ferrari paddle shifter an 'automatic' as NOC suggests - more based on the F1 tranny where the traditional clutch is activated via hydraulics.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to NOCTech75
The sunroof I like. That's one of my requirements. Leather, power seats, sunroof, satellite radio and power windows and mirrors. I prefer automatic climate control too The car has all of these, so I do enjoy it.
--

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
reply to CylonRed
It's not a gated manual w/clutch so therefore per Kearnstd they would have their man card revoked.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

The sunroof I like. That's one of my requirements. Leather, power seats, sunroof, satellite radio and power windows and mirrors. I prefer automatic climate control too The car has all of these, so I do enjoy it.

I didn't get the leather goodies... my active lifestyle would not have been good for it.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Yeah, mine is just a commuter car.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
Loved it today.. mid 60's, beautiful sunny skies, sunroof open, windows down, music blasting... even got to play a bit. Shame I live in an area with nothin but 45's, 2nd gear at 5K RPM is all that is needed.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to Badonkadonk
Those Mazdas rust faster than cars from the 70s.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Rifleman
Premium
join:2004-02-09
p1a
reply to aurgathor
I have a 05 Focus ST with a 5 speed. It's cheap but a blast to drive. It wouldn't be the same with an automatic.
This topic came to mind when this came up on drive today.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAvQSkK8Z8U

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

Those Mazdas rust faster than cars from the 70s.

Know several people with Mazda's and no - they don't rust like you think they do.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Chinabound
Premium
join:2002-12-21
Antioch, IL
kudos:3
All cars will rust if people are too lazy to rinse them off.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
said by Chinabound:

All cars will rust if people are too lazy to rinse them off.

No one is saying they won't rust... They do not rust as TA thinks - even if not rinsed off often.
--
Brian

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
We have been getting plenty of rain to rinse mine off... and more to come.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Lucky you aren't further up north.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
reply to Cho Baka
I remember Mazdas from the 1970's. Their rotary engines wouldn't start in the mornings.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
reply to Badonkadonk
Oh I know.. had to bury my grandfather in Rochester, NY last December and got some snow while I was up there. Man oh man the sludge, the snow, the way the melting shit stuck to your car and hung off the wheel arches... I would be pissed.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL

1 recommendation

reply to NOCTech75
I have never owned a vehicle without a clutch, and I don't understand why so many choose automatics. There is a lot of false information in this thread, I'm going to attempt to clarify some of it.

said by NOCTech75:

So a Ferrari 458 is not a proper sports car?

The 458 has two clutches and still must be shifted. Therefore, it is still a manual. Same as an F1 car.

Automatics are advertised as having higher fuel efficiency because their running gear is geared lower than the manual. It's a marketing tactic. The truth is, it works both ways in practice. It takes more gas to maintain speed, even though the engine is running lower rpm the load is higher. I have NEVER driven an automatic that returned better fuel economy than the manual version.

Automatics are less reliable, on average failing at approximately 100-120k miles. Many manuals are sealed and are rated to be reliable for over 1 million miles. This is one of the main reasons big rigs are still primarily manuals.

A manual will always be faster and more efficient. A clutch has less power losses, and has less power draw than a torque converter.

There really is no replacement for selecting the ratio of torque output of your engine. So called 'manumatics' help with this problem, but are still controlled by logic and still shift only when the computer shifts it for you. I drove a Lexus IS350 with such a system a while back, and sometimes the shifts would be delayed by upwards of 2 seconds. Very annoying.

Driving a manual does not require more work. When you learn the amount of pressure required to activate the pressure plate, it really only requires a few pounds of force by your foot. Most modern manuals have synchros that rev match for you, guides that slip it into gear for you, etc. you really only need to tap it for it to fall into gear. Again, minimal effort required. If this is too much work for one to perform, I'd love to hear what you do for a job. I exert more energy taking a crap than I do shifting gears.
--
Fairy Blessings,
Stefanie

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to aurgathor
said by aurgathor:

Actually, with some cars stick still costs a little less.

And I've actually seen at least one car where the base models with AT were more expensive, but there were no difference in case of the upscale model.

In my case, the vehicle I drive wasn't even available with stick shift (for that particular engine, a 351W), although in theory I can get a 5 speed tranny and other needed parts out of a F250/F350 and install it myself.

Lastly, I agree on stop-and-go traffic. It really sucks, even with AT.

I took my driver's license test on a manual and I have always had manuals until a year ago. I had to spend $1000 extra to get automatic on my new Honda. I did it only because I am getting up there in years and I had times in my previous sporty coupe in the last few years I had it with bad cramps suddenly in my left calf, bursitis a few times in my left hip which was aggravated by the clutch, and right frozen shoulder for a year that made it very painful and difficult to drive a stick....so seemed best to transition to an "old folks" car which is what automatic is to me. It is zero fun to drive and the only reason to ever get automatic is because you are getting old or you live in San Francisco...a lot of hill driving is not too much fun in a stick. I don't mind a stick in city traffic. I always drove a lot in neutral.

The owner of the body shop I have used through the past three cars told me a few years ago that he admired me because I was a wahine who could drive a sports cars with a stick. He said that was a lost art in Hawaii among younger people and especially unusual to find a woman who owned a stick. He said when he bought his new truck for the first time he got auto tranny for one reason. He goes hunting a lot alone, way out away from civilization, and he worried that he might get injured and not be able to drive for help (cell phones don't work in many areas of this island).
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
reply to Darkfairy
You must be tall. A short person needs extenders to do a clutch proud. Plus, you must be young...wait till you get frozen shoulder in the right shoulder or bursitis of the hips...especially if you can barely fully depress the clutch because of being short and you have the seat pulled up as close as possible and are at risk for air bag injury/death because the seat is so close to the steering wheel. My last car took a lot of effort to drive. It was fun when I first got it ...but I was almost 14 years younger then. The ones before it were lots of fun and they had no power steering...but I was young then. One chooses auto only because they are getting old and it is the right choice at that stage of life for almost anyone.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Darkfairy
5-speed automatic gets better gas mileage than the 6-speed manual.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
Only by EPA - I can get more MPG from a manual. Manual has a major advantage over the automatic - you shift when you want. I shift early in all of the manuals I drive and I get between 10-15% more MPG than the EPA. If I have to get into the gas then I can shift early after that and mitigate the damage of getting into the throttle - this is pretty much impossible with an automatic.

EPA numbers are a guideline - there is zero guarantee that you will get the MPG on either side but it is a TON easier to beat EPA in a manual by begin smarter when driving.

I am currently getting about 24 MPG around town in my 2001 330i -
quote:
Premium Gasoline
21 Combined
18 City
27 Highway
»www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/noframes/16496.shtml

So I am getting about 20% more than the EPA for city - mainly because I can go into 5 the gear at 35 mpg. I also get 30-33 mpg highway at 70 mph - a good deal better than EPA. I can get these numbers with the mid-range gas (89 octane).

If I get on the highway - even for 10 minutes then I can get as much as 25.5 mpg - beating the EPA by even more.
--
Brian

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
100% spot on. I get about 15% greater mileage than the EPA estimates for combined and easily more than 20% greater than highway numbers.
--

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
reply to Darkfairy
When I sprained my right ankle at Road Atlanta a few years ago I was VERY happy to have an auto.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to Badonkadonk
Just went out to get some stuff - with minimal highway - I am up to 24.7 mpg...