Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Kearnstd

Re: why would you want a stick shift?

Truth be told, I hate the stuff that hangs of the wheel arches, but I love kicking at it and watching that dirty stuff fall off in a big chunk and smash onto the street or driveway.
--
"You lie!" Talk about an understatement, Joe.

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
You probably like when little kids(and midgets) fall off things and smash onto the street or driveway.

Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
That has kind of a reality-TV appeal to it.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
said by Badonkadonk:

That has kind of a reality-TV appeal to it.

Already done, America's Funniest Home Videos. Showing people and their kids falling off bikes and face planting since the 1980s.(In a way it was the precursor to Youtube)
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA

1 recommendation

This would be different... it would be Goober kickin them.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

Most car washes in the Northeast however do have the under-carriage wash as an option that in theory helps remove the salty slush.

Except that most of them have all the power of your kitchen sink sprayer, and simply wet the dirt and salt, increasing the risk of corrosion.

Regarding transmissions, I had a Toyota Corolla with a 2-speed automatic. It was great when you were moving at 45 mph, needed to accelerate and the damn thing would shift into first gear, and usually blow the valve cover gasket in the process.

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
reply to Darkfairy
said by Darkfairy:

There is a lot of false information in this thread, I'm going to attempt to clarify some of it.

A manual will always be faster and more efficient. A clutch has less power losses, and has less power draw than a torque converter.

Driving a manual does not require more work.

For every day driving, yes, generally the same exact vehicle will be quicker with a manual, but that's not always a truth. There's a point (which isn't really all that low, but mostly concerning racing) where an automatic will outrace a manual, everything else equal...you just can't beat an automatic shift (with a good trans) with a driver working a clutch and shifter manually.

And as far as saying that a 'manual does not require more work', that is just obviously false. You have a clutch and a shifter to operate, which require effort to use. Not a lot, no, but it's definitely more work than not using them would be.

That being said, the only personal vehicle I've had that's an automatic is my truck, just because it wasn't available in a long bed 5 speed. A manual will always be better in my eyes, short of working on them (I'd rather rebuild a dozen automatics than another manual, so much easier).

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to Bob4
Bob, you just dated yourself. That is old!

btw, your "join" date does not match your join date.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to pmohr
They may shift faster but autos are generally not real reliable - especially in racing. That is why no major racing series use automatics - at least to my knowledge - from F1 thru F3, to Indy, none in NASCAR, WRC, NHRA (maybe NHRA but they run much slower), ALMS, LeMans (European), Rolxes series, WTCC, DTM, BTCC - just off the top of my head.

They Subaru SVX was also noted for having a fast shifting automatic - too bad they did not have a reputation of lasting 60K+ miles.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
reply to pmohr
I'm able to shift gears in under 2 tenths of a second. A very good automatic can take an entire second and some of them, like that IS350, take even longer. So no, not faster at all.
--
Fairy Blessings,
Stefanie

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN
said by Darkfairy:

I'm able to shift gears in under 2 tenths of a second. A very good automatic can take an entire second and some of them, like that IS350, take even longer. So no, not faster at all.

Again, I'm a favor of manuals, but just arguing the truth of them being faster (in my context, quarter mile racing, especially sub 10 second passes).

I don't know what autos you're used to, but most shifts in modern autos are completed in well under a second.

VAG DSGs can shift in the neighborhood of 10ms, R35 and IS-F around 100ms, etc. A fair amount quicker than the 200ms you've (apparently) clocked yourself at. Even your C6s, 8L60Es, etc can shift in 200ms with the right VB mods.

Along with quick shifts, you also have the repeatable shifts (1-2, 2-3, etc), not subject to human error like a manual.

For a daily driver, I wouldn't be able to stand an automatic. If I were building a car for a fast pass on the track, I'd choose an automatic.

Darkfairy
Aeolus, your daughter flies.
Premium
join:2003-03-17
Tampa, FL
said by pmohr:

VAG DSGs can shift in the neighborhood of 10ms, R35 and IS-F around 100ms, etc. A fair amount quicker than the 200ms you've (apparently) clocked yourself at.

DSG is a descendent from Doppelklopfen getriebe. R35 and IS-F also use similar systems. Those are all manual transmissions.
--
Fairy Blessings,
Stefanie

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
reply to aurgathor
pain when you get stuck in traffic

I LOL @ stick shift drivers

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to aurgathor
I think where you might find autos better is on turbocharged vehicles. As with an auto the pressure never has to be released, As I think most turbos have to blow off the boost when you clutch.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Beezel

join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV
reply to Bob4
said by Bob4:

Regarding transmissions, I had a Toyota Corolla with a 2-speed automatic. It was great when you were moving at 45 mph, needed to accelerate and the damn thing would shift into first gear, and usually blow the valve cover gasket in the process.

I remember my old 327 Chevy with a Powerglide tranny.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

1 edit
reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

That is ok - not a pain for me in the least... A LOT of people use the clutch when they don't need to which I think causes a lot of the issues for those with no physical issues.

--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to pmohr
The double clutch systems - the manuals - shift a ton faster than a automatic - just ask any of the racing guys that use them.
--
Brian

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Do race car drivers even use the clutch once they get going?

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
The clutch is actuated via hydraulics - so no need for hte driver to use a clutch. They can have a hand clutch for a standing start though.
--
Brian

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to Darkfairy
said by Darkfairy:

BS. Not even my Wife's 03 Escape with 125k takes a full second to shift under WOT or near it..

Nor does my SHO. You punch it, it nears redline and immediately shifts gears down. Using the paddles introduces a little delay but from what I've read the best way to launch the SHO is foot to the floor in Drive. It will do the shifting.

And you cannot beat an auto where the shifts are perfect and at the correct timing 99.999% of the time. It will never miss a shift and will always shift at the correct speed for maximum acceleration (At WOT).

Sticks are more fun to drive but you cannot beat the repeatability and consistency of a modern computer controlled automatic.

I AM
Premium
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA
kudos:4

2 recommendations

reply to Anonymous_
said by Anonymous_:

I LOL @ those who suck at driving Stick Shift and complain about it in traffic.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County
reply to itguy05
quote:
Sticks are more fun to drive but you cannot beat the repeatability and consistency of a modern computer controlled automatic.
I prefer reliability and less cost to repair and near indestructible transmissions instead.. If a manual tranny fails - it was a hugely crappy design or the driver is 100% clueless...
--
Brian

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
reply to Grimm
I do the same thing in my 99 Camaro w/Auto, it is a little fun, of course I have a stuttering LED 3rd break light if i feel i need it i tap the break just enough to light it up.

Napsterbater
Meh
Premium,MVM
join:2002-12-28
Milledgeville, GA
Reviews:
·Xcelerate Broadb..
·Windstream
reply to I AM
said by I AM:

I can see why in big trucks. It could be a pain. But in sportier cars you have to HAVE to have a manual. It should be a MAN LAW. If you don't know how to drive a manual you should have your MAN CARD revoked.

There are time Id love a manual in my 99 Camaro (v6) but between traffic and responding to fire calls while sometime talking on a radio I need my auto, I do use the 1 and 2 and D (basically 3) positions on it a lot.
--
ASUS M4A79T Deluxe | AMD Phenom II x3 720 BE AM3 w/4 Cores @ 3.41Ghz(OC) | 4Gb DDR3 Memory @ 1600mhz | Sapphire ATI HD4870 1GB 800mhz/1000mhz(OC) | 2x500GB HDD's Raid 0 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Build 7600 (RTM) | Windstream DSL 12m (14.9m Sync)/766k

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to Beezel
said by Beezel:

said by Bob4:

I remember my old 327 Chevy with a Powerglide tranny.

I remember my folks 71 Vega with a Powerglide.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to I AM
said by I AM:

said by Anonymous_:

I LOL @ those who suck at driving Stick Shift and complain about it in traffic.

I laugh at those who think it really matters.

join:2013-02-14
reply to aurgathor
I prefer driving a manual, feels like proper driving, lol.

SimbaTLK1
Rawrrr

join:2001-09-07
Pittsburgh, PA
reply to Rifleman

Fobulous
Premium
join:2002-08-14
Missouri City, TX
reply to aurgathor
I love driving manual. My current ride 2010 Jetta TDI is a 6-speed and it's so much fun to drive.

Believe me, we can eliminate so many accidents by driving sticks. There is no way one will mistake an accelerator with a break!
--

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium,VIP
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30
kudos:18
said by Fobulous:

There is no way one will mistake an accelerator with a break!

Brake, it may even be written in the pedal rubber. Break is what happens when you don't apply your brakes quickly enough.
--
What’s the point of owning a supercar if you can’t scare yourself stupid from time to time?