mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

1 edit

mazhurg

Premium Member

This is gonna hurt...

Going back to Eastern Ontario after this stint in Manitoba will be like going back in time ....

Currently on the MTS 20/2 unlimited plan at 60$/mth in the middle of nowhere...

Best I can see in the areas (Belleville to Brighton corridor) I am looking at is:

DLS at 6/800 (Bell / TekSavvy - unlimited potential) or Cogeco cable max of14/(?) +severely limited - UBB).

Bah, one would think that there would have been _some_ progress in the last 3 years....

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Don't give up yet. We are working on some stuff to brighten the future!

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to mazhurg

to mazhurg
You can't get higher than 5/1 with Cogeco ?

whootstart
@start.ca

whootstart to mazhurg

Anon

to mazhurg
said by mazhurg:

Going back to Eastern Ontario after this stint in Manitoba will be like going back in time ....

Currently on the MTS 20/2 unlimited plan at 60$/mth in the middle of nowhere...

Best I can see in the areas (Belleville to Brighton corridor) I am looking at is:

DLS at 6/800 (Bell / TekSavvy - unlimited potential) or Cogeco cable (only) (5/1 +severely limited - UBB).

Bah, one would think that there would have been _some_ progress in the last 3 years....

If you can get Cogeco you can get www.start.ca which is better then Cogeco.
jagerman
join:2011-01-10
Fredericton, NB

jagerman to mazhurg

to mazhurg
I second the recommendation for Start (their dslreports forum is here: »Start.ca )

Unfortunately, TekSavvy has been promising to offer something in Cogeco land in "the future," as TSI Andre said, for years now, and it hasn't happened. Every time they say "Something is coming by (date x)", (date x) comes and goes without anything new.
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

MrMazda86 (banned) to whootstart

to whootstart
Although there are other provider options, I personally would want to stick to TekSavvy, whether it be DSL or Cable. The reason here is that when you call TekSavvy using the 1-877-779-1575 number they provide to customers, you'll actually get an actual CANADIAN who actually speaks English.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against hiring a person from a different cultural or ethnic background (since I'm all for equal opportunity), but the problem I see with a lot of companies (Bell being the worst offender) is that in general (from my experience) Ali-Babba Shaqua Shouvez out in Bangladesh just doesn't seem to possess a sufficient comprehension of the English language necessary to be able to do the job adequately.

Once you mix this kind of a language barrier in with a customer service or tech support position, things generally don't end well... This especially seems to hold true when you as the user want to use a more "non-standard" setup according to their definition, such as bridging your modem and establishing the PPPoE session either on a 3rd party router, or otherwise establish the PPPoE link directly on your computer.

All I'm saying here is just be mindful of where the provider's customer and tech support base is located. A lot of times, this will directly impact the quality of the service. At least TekSavvy will acknowledge that you can bridge your DSL modem, and will also acknowledge support such a configuration setup, rather than just saying "Oh, you're hardware is not configured the way we want it to be, so we won't support that. In order for us to help you, you MUST conform to our standards."

As sad as this is to say, this pattern seems to hold true more often than you may realize. While a provider may be able to offer a seemingly better product by comparison, you must also take into account where that provider's support base is located. If it is not located in an area that is primarily English speaking (or even French for that matter... I'm bi-lingual and Canada has TWO official languages), you are likely to find that the level (and quality) of support that they can offer when things go wrong will be greatly reduced to a "script". If your issue should fall outside of the "norm" of that script, be prepared for headaches... This is where TekSavvy has companies like Bell completely over the barrel.
Dunlop
join:2011-07-13

Dunlop to mazhurg

to mazhurg
I think there will be a drastic change in the internet speed and pricing in the very near future.

Bell just launched unlimited on all the plans, which means they have the inside scoop on the upcoming decision and Marc hinted as much also (who almost certainly has the inside scoop as well)

Things are looking up

mazhurg
Premium Member
join:2004-05-02
Brighton, ON

mazhurg to silvercat

Premium Member

to silvercat
said by silvercat:

You can't get higher than 5/1 with Cogeco ?

Sorry, my mistake. The max they are offering is 14 / (?) with a 80 GB limit. And I know from past experience (and having friends in the area) that they are ... let say ... at capacity.

- fixing op post.
mazhurg

mazhurg to TSI Andre

Premium Member

to TSI Andre
said by TSI Andre:

Don't give up yet. We are working on some stuff to brighten the future!

said by jagerman:

Unfortunately, TekSavvy has been promising to offer something in Cogeco land in "the future," as TSI Andre said, for years now, and it hasn't happened. Every time they say "Something is coming by (date x)", (date x) comes and goes without anything new.

I've been with Teksavvy previously in this area, and have one of my kids with TS in Ottawa and can say that I always had stellar service with them. As such, there is no reason not to continue the relationship once I get back in the province.

As TS does not do infrastructure, I can't blame them for the reluctance of the incumbents to do anything other than milk the system. As for cable connectivity, experience (Cogeco / Shaw / Roger) has taught me that the system is very vulnerable to saturation and is just one extra level of frustration.

What I'd like to see is the DSL infrastructure upgraded to current standards.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc

Premium Member

For what it's worth.. We're essentially ready to launch Cogeco. We've been beta testing some lines for a few weeks now.

Could add you as a beta tester if you'd like?

The primary issue now is CBB...
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to mazhurg

to mazhurg
said by mazhurg:

Eastern Ontario includes Peterborough where you can get Nexicom's ADSL2+ with no caps. You don't need to go to dumpy Belleville. Just saying.

CFoo
join:2008-03-19
Nepean, ON

CFoo to Dunlop

to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

Bell just launched unlimited on all the plans, which means they have the inside scoop on the upcoming decision and Marc hinted as much also (who almost certainly has the inside scoop as well)

Yes, but at a price. $10 extra if you have 3 services otherwise its $30. just go with a TPIA to get a better deal.
Dunlop

Dunlop

The fact they are offering unlimited at all is the big news that there is a change on the horizon. Bell would not do this unless the change will be so radical that the IISP's will become much more attractive

(I got it for $10 with 2 services)

silvercat
join:2007-11-07

silvercat to mazhurg

to mazhurg
I would take Marc's offer
MrMazda86 (banned)
join:2013-01-29
Kitchener, ON

1 edit

1 recommendation

MrMazda86 (banned)

said by silvercat:

I would take Marc's offer

So would I. The big difference between Bell and TekSavvy is that Bell likes to restrict their users, throttles their network traffic (particularly when P2P traffic is detected), and from my experience has never done anything more than raised their prices. When it comes down to dealing with Bell, my experience (since since 1997) with Bell has always been anything less than satisfactory, and has left me with a rather bitter taste.

Now as for TekSavvy on the other hand, my experience has always been the exact polar opposite. Rather than play the "Microsoft" card (yes... Bell and Microsoft are now one and the same) and cramming their proprietary ways down the throats of their users, they'll be the first to either support you as the customer, or otherwise do their best to at least try to help you when they don't directly have front-line support (such as IP Subnetting configuration). They truly are the best of both worlds. While it may be true that sometimes they do have "flaws" or "issues" as it were, it's not like other providers haven't had issues.

The key difference here is that TekSavvy does actually listen to their customers, and will bend over backwards (within reason) to help a customer resolve their issues. Even when I have had a more complex problem and have gotten a brand new representative who was on his first day of handling live calls, they were still as helpful as they could be, at least got me pointed in the right direction, and maintained a level of professionalism that quite frankly, is quite impressive. The same CANNOT be said about Bell.

Also, look at the price difference. With Bell, I was paying over $75 for a 6Mbit DL / 800Kbit UL unlimited usage package before taxes and modem rental fees. This package came with only ONE *dynamic* IP address. Making the move to TekSavvy from a pricing stand point only made sense. TekSavvy's monthly grand total came to $67.79 AFTER taxes for that same 6Mbit DL / 800Kbit UL unlimited usage package, which also included a single *static* IP for the modem's PPPoE connection, PLUS a static /29 subnet with 6 IP *static* IP Addresses for me to use on my LAN that from outside my network (i.e. the internet), will forward through directly to the devices on my LAN setup to use those IP Addresses. When you combine the quality of the service and the pricing as well, it starts to become clear where the better deal is.

(Edit: Changed "AFTER" to "AFTER taxes")
geokilla
join:2010-10-04
North York, ON

geokilla

Take a look at Start??
Dunlop

Dunlop to mazhurg

to mazhurg
To clarifymy posts I would take teksvvy over Bell any day of the week (I actually had teksavvy for about a year). I'm back in bed with Bell because of FibeTV.

...but I have to say they have I have really been impressed overall with this "new Bell" thanks to competition the experience has been quite smooth

underubb
@teksavvy.com

underubb to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

For what it's worth.. We're essentially ready to launch Cogeco. We've been beta testing some lines for a few weeks now.

Google "define:CBB" and you get "Computerized Bulletin Board" ... is that what you are talking about?

Cogeco makes no mention of upload speeds on the website so I assume it's all capped at 1mbps?
Gered
join:2012-11-09
Toronto, ON

Gered

I'm fairly certain that CBB = capacity based billing.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

JenSuisUn to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
You do know that some employees here could beta test stuff too you know (wink wink)

Toastertech
Premium Member
join:2003-01-05
Canada

Toastertech to mazhurg

Premium Member

to mazhurg
Marc, would you happen to need a beta tester in the North Bay area?

rogersmogers
@start.ca

rogersmogers to TSI Marc

Anon

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

WTH - I could have tested, just send me a modem wiring and service on line is already in place.

tristen1230
join:2010-12-26
Belleville, ON

tristen1230 to whootstart

to whootstart
Starts data is still pretty low. 150gb
tristen1230

tristen1230 to mazhurg

to mazhurg
Would be interested in beta testing. I am still stuck in a contract with Cogeco but in my area of Belleville I can get up to 14. I am with Cogeco at the moment until May.

TSI Andy
Premium Member
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON

TSI Andy to JenSuisUn

Premium Member

to JenSuisUn
+1 pick me, pick me !!
funny0
join:2010-12-22

1 edit

funny0 to mazhurg

to mazhurg
didn't read this all but soon as i saw it , thought of reddit
lol

»i.imgur.com/VH8DK5X.gif
OR
»s.pikabu.ru/post_img/201 ··· 5901.gif
ya the above looks like oh my owwww
and of course the fbi are outside your apartment heres proof
»i.imgur.com/sfAL6MN.jpg
swe3tdave
join:2008-02-01
Sainte-Catherine-De-Hatley, QC

swe3tdave to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
i am also interested in beta testing, i am currently on cogeco, no contract.
Expand your moderator at work
dak108
join:2013-02-22

dak108 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: This is gonna hurt...

also interested in beta testing, posted from Kingston to Belleville and apparently the sync rate at my new place is horrific so I definitely need cable.
swiftex
join:2008-05-10
Toronto, ON

swiftex to mazhurg

to mazhurg
Ready to beta test from downtown Toronto. Put me on the list please, and thank you.