Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf

Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

said by Mike Wolf:

What would requesting a smaller prefix entail, what would I gain, and what would I lose?

It would entail having a router that was capable of maintaining multiple VLANS/LAN subnets, and the ability to be configured to request a PD other than the standard /64 from Comcast.

What you might gain is the ability to have multiple /64 IPv6 networks behind your router (how you would use them is up to you).

What you might lose is your internet connection if your router somehow got a /60 from Comcast and didn't know how to handle it.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

The whole internet connection would be lost? You mean even the IPv4 internet?

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to NetFixer

MVM

to NetFixer
Any suggestion for values to try on a router that supports multiple LAN interfaces?

IPv6 Prefix Delegation:

Site-Level Aggregator ID: ?
ISP Prefix Length: /?
Expand your moderator at work

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf

Re: [IPv6] Comcast IPv6 Address Assignment/Delegation

said by graysonf:

Any suggestion for values to try on a router that supports multiple LAN interfaces?

IPv6 Prefix Delegation:

Sorry, but the only router I have that supported getting a /60 (for a while) was my D-Link DIR655, and I don't have access to the low level configuration in that router (my only choice in its html menu is to either enable/disable DHCP-PD).

When I was getting a /60 from Comcast the config above was also being used, and a secondary router behind the DIR655 was able to get its own /64 IPv6 subnet. I have no idea why I no longer get a /60 from Comcast.

The screen shot below shows what I would get from Comcast when the /60 was working:

The DIR655 would get an IPv6 Network assignment of 2601:5:c80:90::/60, and its LAN would get the IPv6 assignment 2601:5:c80:91::/64. Unfortunately I did not get a screen capture of the secondary router's assignment, but as I recall it was 2601:5:c80:92::/64.

Now that I only get a /64 assignment, I get the same 2601:5:c80:90::/64 for both the Network and LAN.

My secondary (guest network) router is now connected directly (well, actually through a switch), to the modem and it still gets its own /64 assignment (it's just not a subnet of the DIR655's former /60 network).

One interesting thing is that just before I stopped getting the /60 assignment, Comcast changed the Network PD IP address from 2601:5:c80:90::/60 to 2601:5:c80:b0::/60. The next change was to eliminate the /60 assignment (but I went back to the 2601:5:c80:90: subnet again).

I guess that the point of this TLDR reply is to point out that Comcast's IPv6 implementation for dynamic IP address customers is still in flux (and may possibly stay that way), so even if you get something to work today, don't count on it to be working the same way tomorrow. If/when Comcast finally gets IPv6 for static IP business class customers working, I may go back to paying for static IP addresses again.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
said by graysonf:

Whatever you want, but when added to the prefix length the number of bits in it must be less than or equal to 64. I.e. if your prefix length is /64 then this must be 0. If your prefix length is /60 then it must be between 0 and 15 inclusive (0-15 = a 4-bit number. 4 + 60 = 64). This number is added to your prefix to get the subnet for that interface.
said by graysonf:

The size of the prefix you're requesting from the ISP. Eventually Comcast will support /60-/64 inclusive, but for now only /64 works reliably.

/M