how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Acarney

join:2003-01-27
Richland, WA

[HSI] NetFlix Open Connect CDN??

I'm curious if anyone still working for charter can make any unofficial comment or if anyone else has heard if charter is working to deploy the NetFlix Open Connect CDNs... It's kind of crappy to think the Netflix service I'm paying for isn't as good as someone else's just because my ISP is dropping the ball and not joining up... I want the enhanced 1080p (especially since I'm a 100mbit customer) and curious about the 3D streaming...

It sounds like NetFlix doesn't charge for the service or the local 100TB cache devices if an ISP wants to deploy them and it should offload almost 70% of the traffic to the ISPs internal network during peak times...

I'm sure there's some issue with cost somewhere (either rate changes from existing ISP and CDN agreements or simply power and rack space costs) but it doesn't sound like NetFlix is trying to get their hand into the cookie jar besides saving some money on how much data they're having to route around the web...

As a customer I just want in on the extra perks of having this!!

(Though I've never experienced if Charter is receptive to requesting new channels be added or anything and we're STILL waiting almost a year later for any agreement for ShowTime Anywhere app support... So I'm not hding my breath on this NetFlix deal :-/ )

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
kudos:2

Guess you missed this is in the CBS renewal thread:

"Plans are underway to make primetime shows from CBS available on-demand to customers across all Charter markets in the coming months. The launch of the authentication service Showtime Anytime, which will provide Charter’s Showtime customers with unlimited access to content on the premium network via computers, iPad, iPhone and Android devices, also will be coming soon."

About the Netflix CDN don't hold me to this, but I thought I read somewhere that Charter was one of the cable companies who were signing up. However, since I don't remember the source, it could have been wrong. I just remember being surprised they were an early adoptee, if it was true.

RonSMeyer

join:2000-05-12
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Acarney

I'd be interested in this too. One question is do you need a 100mbit connection for Open Connect CDN to work properly or is the 30mbit adequate?

Acarney

join:2003-01-27
Richland, WA

No no no, you'll be fine on 30Mbit. NetFlix is saying 5 to 7mbit for each superHD or 3D stream. So you'll be ok during peak probably and can still have a computer using the web. I'm just very excited for this on the 100mb connection because I should be able to have a couple family members using the Internet and at least one or two netflix streams going during peak and not have any issues...

RonSMeyer

Saint Louis, MO

Great Thanks. I've streamed dozens of Netflix movies over my wireless network to the Smart TV and have never had the slightest blip. SuperHD would be wonderful. Love my Charter Internet!

allgoodt

join:2006-06-10
Montgomery, AL
reply to Acarney

Still waiting for this service to come to Charter. Can we get updated word on this? It's been available for awhile and more and more cable services are getting it, except Charter.

mdavej

join:2004-06-09
united state
reply to Acarney

Someone claimed in another forum that Charter in Madison WI was already Open Connect. Nothing in my neck of the woods yet.

InTheKnow

@charter.com

I haven't head anything on this subject.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
reply to Acarney

....... there goes the cap

dot854jc

join:2004-06-28
Cleveland, TN

Setting up a CDN would help everyone and could put Charter back at the top of the Internet rankings. Plus save traffic on on the network.

samthegam

join:2011-12-10
Monterey Park, CA
reply to Acarney

SuperHD with Netflix on PS3 is working with Charter in Monterey Park, CA 91754 with Ultra 100. When I went to the netflix SuperHD page »www.netflix.com/superhd it claims my ISP is ready for SuperHD. I tested it out with "Struck By Lightning" and the picture quality for Netflix was better then usual for HD and it came with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 for the audio.

CoolMan

join:2008-01-07
Tennessee
Reviews:
·Charter
·Suddenlink

said by samthegam:

When I went to the netflix SuperHD page »www.netflix.com/superhd it claims my ISP is ready for SuperHD.

I am still receiving "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." message when accessing that site.

cork1958
Cork
Premium
join:2000-02-26
reply to dot854jc

said by dot854jc:

Setting up a CDN would help everyone and could put Charter back at the top of the Internet rankings. Plus save traffic on on the network.

It would take a WHOLE LOT MORE than just this to move Charter one notch up from the bottom of the barrel, which is about where it's currently at, IMO!
--
The Firefox alternative.
»www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/

ve52001

join:2004-05-11
Duncanville, TX

I've been getting SuperHD on my Netflix for a while now, through my TiVo premiere.

mdavej

united state
reply to mdavej

WooHoo! Got Open Connect today. Anybody else?

squashpile

join:2001-06-13
Birmingham, AL

Nada

msmisfit

join:2004-09-13
Lawrenceville, GA
reply to mdavej

said by mdavej:

WooHoo! Got Open Connect today. Anybody else?

Apparently we have it now, because when I checked the link above today, it told me all the new features, rather than telling me, my ISP was not configured for Super HD yet.

passerby

join:2013-03-22
Monroe, MI

Same here.

RonSMeyer

Saint Louis, MO

Well I get the same screen with the features but I can't tell if I actually have it or I'm just seeing a web page. It doesn't really say. And there doesn't seem to be any way in Netflix streaming that tells you if you are getting it.

You'd think both Charter and Netflix would make a bigger deal about this.

passerby

Monroe, MI

I confirmed SuperHD by pressing the "info" button on my tv's remote and it displayed the resolution my Roku was outputting "FRINGE" at - 1080P, 60fps. Maybe your TV has a similar function (assuming you're watching on your TV).

mdavej

united state
reply to Acarney

I don't think that's sufficient. Normal Netflix HD is also 1080p. You have to look at the bitrate. Run the "Example Short" and see if it ramps all the way up to 5800kbps.

I don't yet have any devices capable of Super HD, but I'll let you know if it works as soon as I get one.

CoolMan

join:2008-01-07
Tennessee
Reviews:
·Charter
·Suddenlink

1 edit
reply to Acarney

said by CoolMan:

I am still receiving "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." message when accessing that site.

I am no longer receiving the above message, I now see the following message: "Netflix Super HD will be available on PS3, WiiU, Windows 8, Roku, Apple TVs with 1080p, and select smart TVs and Blu-Ray players. More devices coming soon."

EDIT: receiving "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." again...

squashpile

join:2001-06-13
Birmingham, AL

Same message I'm seeing, but no Super HD.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to Acarney

The "Your Internet Provider is not configured for Super HD yet." is back now

passerby

Monroe, MI

Also seeing that message again.

passerby

Monroe, MI

1 edit
reply to Acarney

Odd... I just started an pulled up an episode of FRINGE on my Roku and I just noticed it said "SuperHD" below the details of the episode, yet I'm still getting (as of yesterday) the "Your ISP is not configured..." from Netflix's website.

TV still shows 1080P/60 fps and data rates reported from my router for the Roku are consistent with SuperHD.

mdavej

united state

Passerby, can you please try the Example Short I mentioned earlier? The 1080p/60 reported by your TV is meaningless since your Roku will send that no matter what the source material. It's really hard to tell by data rates because they come in bursts, not a steady stream.

I'm afraid, this may have just been a glitch on the Netflix site and that Charter isn't really Open Connect and probably never was.

passerby

Monroe, MI

My mistake. I wasn't aware the Roku was upconverting all content to 1080P/60. I also wasn't following your reference to "Example Short" until now. I ran it and the bitrate peaked at 3850 kbps.

Oh well...