Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

said by Juggernaut:

Bull shit. Like I want, or need to see travel ads when I open ringdroid?

These are rotating, crap ads that devs see nothing or little for. I never click them in any case.

Users don't need to click on the ads for the developer to get paid. They can (most do) get paid just to push the ad.

Let me rephrase your statement above... "Like I need to pay the developer for his/her hard work put into ringdroid". Both statements are the same. That is what you really are stating. You are bypassing the developers revenue stream and basically not paying the developer for his/her hard work. You can sugar coat that all you want... that is _exactly_ what a person is doing if they block the ads. You can hate ads, think they don't have a place in the app, think the developer made a mistake in using them, etc... the results of blocking the ads is still the same.

If you take a quick look you will see that ads in apps generate around $1.6 billion for app developers each year. They don't put them in apps for no reason (obviously). Thinking this is probably just one way to justify keeping revenue from the developer.

How about this... like the app and want to block the ads... contact and send the developer $.99 instead. My only point is that _blocking ads in apps takes money away from the developer_.

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

nekkidtruth

Premium Member

said by tcope:

Let me rephrase your statement above... "Like I need to pay the developer for his/her hard work put into ringdroid". Both statements are the same. That is what you really are stating.

Actually no, they are not the same thing. Perhaps that's how you wish to interpret it, but that is not at all what he said.
said by tcope:

You are bypassing the developers revenue stream and basically not paying the developer for his/her hard work. You can sugar coat that all you want... that is _exactly_ what a person is doing if they block the ads. You can hate ads, think they don't have a place in the app, think the developer made a mistake in using them, etc... the results of blocking the ads is still the same.

So it's perfectly ok for a developer to require the data stream that I pay for, to try to sell me something I don't want? That's an interesting way to look at it. If a developer would like to be compensate for their work, they need only ask. However, forcing me to incur a fee for my data usage does not and will not ever sit well.
said by tcope:

If you take a quick look you will see that ads in apps generate around $1.6 billion for app developers each year. They don't put them in apps for no reason (obviously). Thinking this is probably just one way to justify keeping revenue from the developer.

If they're missing out on that revenue, they can feel free to contact my wireless carrier and request they be compensated through the money I just spent paying for said ad to use my connection.
said by tcope:

How about this... like the app and want to block the ads... contact and send the developer $.99 instead. My only point is that _blocking ads in apps takes money away from the developer_.

This is not at all unreasonable. However, this would only be necessary for developers who do not already provide a way to pay for a pro version or ad-less version of the app. I suspect you were most likely expecting a "NO WAY!" response. Sorry to disappoint.
tcope
Premium Member
join:2003-05-07
Sandy, UT

tcope

Premium Member

said by nekkidtruth:

So it's perfectly ok for a developer to require the data stream that I pay for, to try to sell me something I don't want? That's an interesting way to look at it. If a developer would like to be compensate for their work, they need only ask. However, forcing me to incur a fee for my data usage does not and will not ever sit well.

Yes, yes and YES!!!!!!!

The ads are part of the app!!!! You act like the developer forced you to use the app... as this is the only reason why you could even think the developer was somehow responsible for how _you_ used your data connection.

I've mentioned this a few times already... you don't own the app. The developer is giving you a license to use it. If you don't like the way it works..... YOU DON'T NEED TO USE IT. It's _THAT_ simple.

But again... none of that has anything to do with my point. By blocking ads you are now allowing the developer to be compensated for his/her hard work. If enough people do this, it will drive the good developers away from Android.
Expand your moderator at work

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium Member
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
Netgear R7000
Asus RT-N66
Hitron CODA-4582

1 recommendation

nekkidtruth to tcope

Premium Member

to tcope

Re: [Apps] Must Have Apps for Android! [Updated: 02/06/12]

said by tcope:

Yes, yes and YES!!!!!!!

The ads are part of the app!!!! You act like the developer forced you to use the app... as this is the only reason why you could even think the developer was somehow responsible for how _you_ used your data connection.

I've mentioned this a few times already... you don't own the app. The developer is giving you a license to use it. If you don't like the way it works..... YOU DON'T NEED TO USE IT. It's _THAT_ simple.

But again... none of that has anything to do with my point. By blocking ads you are now allowing the developer to be compensated for his/her hard work. If enough people do this, it will drive the good developers away from Android.

We'll have to agree to disagree. I do not see it this way, nor will I ever. As a developer myself, I would never put any of my potential customers or potential paying customers in a position to WANT to block ads, let alone need to.
Expand your moderator at work