Premium Member

Didn't I call this!

They need their own content.
Too bad they don't own the pipes!

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine

That's just too bad, aint it? And I suspect that if they did, it would cost quite a bit more than $7/month.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

Very few content providers own their own pipes.
46436203 (banned)
join:2013-01-03

46436203 (banned)

said by mogamer:

said by cableties:

Comcast, Time Warner...
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

The Time Warner media conglomerate is not the same Time Warner as Time Warner cable. Time Warner cable doesn't have much content, except maybe some sports channels.
mogamer
join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI

mogamer to 46436203

to 46436203
said by 46436203:

said by mogamer:

said by cableties:

Comcast, Time Warner...

I didn't say none did.

fifty nine
join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ

fifty nine to silbaco

to silbaco
True. The trend is to spin off the cable/sat operators from the programmers.

At one time we had Time Warner, Comcast, Cablevision owning many of the channels. News Corp owned DirecTV. Now it's really only Comcast and to some extent Cablevision, and Comcast is bigger than ever.
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000 to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

Here in Canada they just introduced something called Super HD. To get the newer higher quality streams, your ISP needs to make a peering arrangement with netflix (so they would have direct networks and not use internet bandwidth).

It's a mixed bag which ISPs are adopting it. Understandably a few see Netflix as a threat.
Kamus
join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX

Kamus to fifty nine

to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

That's just too bad, aint it? And I suspect that if they did, it would cost quite a bit more than $7/month.

Yet another guy that doesn't understand how the internet works.

It's no longer about charging a lot to few people. It's about charging little to a LOT of people because delivery of content is no longer a big deal since even a child can do it.
Kamus

Kamus to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ho ··· _series)

That's theirs. With the adoption rate they have all it will take is time.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to cableties

to cableties
said by cableties:

No, they don't need their own content.
They need to pay for the content people want to watch, just as they did for the DVD library.

They don't need to own the pipes.

They just need to assure delivery rates - which, to my surprise, given Hastings tendency to whine rather than act, they manifested last week when they offered Open Connect.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to zod5000

MVM

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

Here in Canada they just introduced something called Super HD. To get the newer higher quality streams, your ISP needs to make a peering arrangement with netflix (so they would have direct networks and not use internet bandwidth).

It's a mixed bag which ISPs are adopting it. Understandably a few see Netflix as a threat.

It's available here too. It was covered recently here when TW didn't like the idea very much.

It's funny watching the ISPs complain that Netflix is costing them so much bandwidth and doesn't want to pay for it, and then Netflix gives them a solution that reduces the bandwidth needs by a huge amount for free except the cost to power the device an a few slots of rack space...and the cable companies still cry foul.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to cableties

MVM

to cableties
said by cableties:

Netflix does own the pipes via OpenConnect. They hope to eventually deliver the majority of traffic over OpenConnect.
Guspaz

Guspaz to elray

MVM

to elray
said by elray See ProfileThey just need to assure delivery rates - which, to my surprise, given Hastings tendency to whine rather than act, they manifested last week when they offered Open Connect.[/BQUOTE :

OpenConnect publicly launched in June 2012, at which point it was already carrying 5% of their traffic, not last week.

elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Let me rephrase.

When he required OpenConnect for access to "Super" HD product, in effect, co-opting the last mile.