Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BigSensFan
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Whitby, ON

Accessiblity requirements

in 2005 the Ontario government passed legislation that said all places of business have to be wheel chair accessible.

Our church is looking at what we need to do. We know we have to install automated doors, what I am unsure of is if we need a ramp.

Our building is all one level, the rise into the building at the front door is 3.75" is that considered a barrier that needs a ramp?

Anyone with a link to the code and the legislation?
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

Is that stuff even enforced? We have safety people come here every 2-3 years, they never told us about any accessibility requirements. Part of the offices are on a 2nd floor and there's no way that it would ever be wheelchair accessible, sure as hell aint building an elevator or installing some chair lift. Same thing about washrooms.
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to BigSensFan

Don't forget the grant. »www.otf.ca/en/applyForaGrant/acc···ents.asp

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

Is that stuff even enforced? We have safety people come here every 2-3 years, they never told us about any accessibility requirements. Part of the offices are on a 2nd floor and there's no way that it would ever be wheelchair accessible, sure as hell aint building an elevator or installing some chair lift. Same thing about washrooms.

"What happens if you don't comply?

Our first goal is always to help organizations meet their accessibility requirements. We are here to help you meet your commitments with educational tools and templates that will make it easier for you to understand what you need to do and how to do it.

For organizations that persist in not meeting their obligations, the government has the power to conduct inspections, assign monetary penalties and prosecute through the courts.

The Licence Appeal Tribunal will hear appeals from organizations on compliance matters. The tribunal will not hear complaints from individuals. A person who feels that their human rights have not been met will still need to direct their complaints to the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario."
»www.mcss.gov.on.ca/en/mcss/progr···Service/

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

It comes into full effect later this year (not sure of the exact date off hand). The legislation IIRC allow for spme pretty good fines for noncomplaince
--
"The hardest thing about any political campaign is how to win without proving that you are unworthy of winning." ~ Adlai E. Stevenson

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to peterboro

Thanks

By reading that, we dont need automatic doors? (I thought we did). I dont see what rise requires a ramp
--

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to peterboro

IIRC, though, aren't many places grandfathered?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

WWJD?

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by BigSensFan:

WWJD?

Heal them
--

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17

said by BigSensFan:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by BigSensFan:

WWJD?

Heal them

But in the interim?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

said by MaynardKrebs:

But in the interim?

He may have learned carpentry from his father so it's possible he'd build a ramp.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

But in the interim?

provide accessibility.. Which is what we are trying to do.. I just want to know exactly what needs to be done
--

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to BigSensFan

Anything that is the same height or more than a standard "curb" needs to be ramped, or an area provided with "similar access".

IE: If the front door has 8 steps leading to it, but a side door with in reasonable distance has a ramp, then no ramp is needed for the front door.

In Church cases you need to have seats accessible to wheelchairs.
IE: IF you have steps going down in an auditorium, then seats have to be set aside for wheel chairs (think movie theater).

When we built our church, oh must be almost 20 years ago now, we put everything on one level, and the Congregational area has ramps instead of steps. There's even a 'Walker Buddy' system in place where the Ushers will put your walker to the back of the church if you want to sit in the middle of the pews

We had an issue with our stage because it didn't have enough Rails (open concept), however we put railings on each end of the very large stage and the middle is covered by the Mercy Seat (about 50% of the stage front).

The stage door was argued against because they wanted it to be wider, but we proved that was standard size door (even though it looked small due to the angle and the piano), and later moved the piano to make it easier.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS
reply to BigSensFan

Dont forget the ramp down to hell.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to BigSensFan

luckily, my current place of work doesn't allow hiring or building any such "accessibility" reqs. at this particular location.

that's not to say the company doesn't hire or have buildings with "accessibility" to them..

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2

said by Gami00:

luckily, my current place of work doesn't allow hiring or building any such "accessibility" reqs. at this particular location.

that's not to say the company doesn't hire or have buildings with "accessibility" to them..

If I decode your grammar correctly you are glad that your employer discriminates against disabled people in order to avoid meeting accessibility regulations?

wow.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

i never thought of it that particular way, but now that you mention it.. it doesn't sound that bad.

though the employer doesn't discriminate against disabled ppl.. i'll have to add this point at least.
it just can't and won't hire for this location.. you wouldn't either, depending on the businesses you run...

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by BigSensFan:

WWJD?

Heal them

Post of the day

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Gami00

said by Gami00:

. you wouldn't either, depending on the businesses you run...

Hmm, this sounds like a Hooters....

But I do see your point.

Still, no one has confirmed: some establishments .. and all government owned properties, are grandfathered if the place was built before this legislation. Also, it's only grandfathered if you do NO renovation, unless your .gov, in which case the law never applies.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Devanchya

said by Devanchya:

When we built our church, oh must be almost 20 years ago now, we put everything on one level, and the Congregational area has ramps instead of steps. There's even a 'Walker Buddy' system in place where the Ushers will put your walker to the back of the church if you want to sit in the middle of the pews

I'll point out, because I don't like organized religion and the filter on my keyboard broke, that churches didn't do this before it was mandated so much as being sensitive to the needs for accessibility as much as bringing in every last dollar of donations even if it meant they came in wheelchairs or were wheeled down on a stretcher from the hospital.

BigSensFan
Premium
Whitby, ON

said by peterboro:

said by Devanchya:

I'll point out, because I don't like organized religion and the filter on my keyboard broke, that churches didn't do this before it was mandated so much as being sensitive to the needs for accessibility as much as bringing in every last dollar of donations even if it meant they came in wheelchairs or were wheeled down on a stretcher from the hospital.

Our church is small.. but we do things to help those with physical needs (and anyone for that matter).

We have greeters that open and hold doors for people. They also help people enter the building if needed (seniors with a cane or walkers for example). We have had a couple people with wheel chairs enter and they had no problem getting into the building over the 3.75" lip

So churches do try.. it sometimes comes to the lack of funds, so we do things in other ways than the official way.
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

I don't deny there are altruistic motivations I just don't believe that there is no financial motivation as well. But that's just me being a pessimistic prick as always.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to BigSensFan

said by BigSensFan:

in 2005 the Ontario government passed legislation that said all places of business have to be wheel chair accessible.

Our church is looking at what we need to do. We know we have to install automated doors, what I am unsure of is if we need a ramp.

Our building is all one level, the rise into the building at the front door is 3.75" is that considered a barrier that needs a ramp?

You do not need to do anything whatsoever. The regulations only apply to new builds and renovations. If you choose to make the building accessible, you should get advice from an engineer and possibly an architect, depending on how much reno work you want to do. It's a lot more than ramps and doors.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to peterboro

said by peterboro:

Wrong. Most of the churches in Peterpatch became accessible many years ago. I know we did full accessibility at the church I served in Lakefield in the 1990's. Why? Because it was the right thing to do and long, long before it was mandated.
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by DKS:

Wrong. Most of the churches in Peterpatch became accessible many years ago. I know we did full accessibility at the church I served in Lakefield in the 1990's.

Which I don't dispute.

said by DKS:

Why? Because it was the right thing to do and long, long before it was mandated.

Which I impugn a financial motive as well whether you want to admit it or not.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

Why? Because it was the right thing to do and long, long before it was mandated.

Which I impugn a financial motive as well whether you want to admit it or not.

There was no financial "motive". The project cost $155,000. It certainly did not recoup that by any stretch of the imagination. It made the building more accessible and more open to the community for use. It also allowed us to bring the caskets of the faithful into the church sanctuary for celebration of the resurrection.
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by DKS:

There was no financial "motive".

Of course there would be no overt motive "apparent". The fact that they spent so much does not mitigate their motive just their abilities to budget or scope of project.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

There was no financial "motive".

Of course there would be no overt motive "apparent". The fact that they spent so much does not mitigate their motive just their abilities to budget or scope of project.

You assign malice where there was none. And I was there. The primary mover was the late Don Hendren, a local funeral director who had one of the first motorized wheelchairs I ever saw. Don was the first. There were many others who made (and make) use of it.
--

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

said by DKS:

You assign malice where there was none.

You equate financial motive with malice when there is no correlation. The word you were searching for is ulterior.»en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ulterior_motive

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16

Not for prophet
Or not for profit