Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast

PSTN Sunset

They should be allowed to shut down the PSTN and force their customers onto fiber networks. One of the reasons that Verizon is reluctant to upgrade to FiOS is that many consumers (mostly middle aged and elderly) opt to remain on the PSTN/DSL even though their house is passed by FiOS.

If Verizon were to pass my house with FiOS, I would kick Comcast to the curb in a heartbeat. And I would pay the hourly installation charge as my house is a townhouse duplex (which they consider an MDU/custom install but I would do the inside wiring myself).

I think the time has come to shut down the PSTN. I have my home phone through Comcast (mainly because the alarm system requires a phone line and for E911).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

They don't want to shut down PSTN and migrate their users to fiber networks. AT&T doesn't HAVE a fiber network. They want those people to go to Wireless, because they make more money off of it.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

They should be allowed to shut down the PSTN and force their customers onto fiber networks. One of the reasons that Verizon is reluctant to upgrade to FiOS is that many consumers (mostly middle aged and elderly) opt to remain on the PSTN/DSL even though their house is passed by FiOS.

But is it OK by you that they abandon copper landlines if they offer no fiber connection to replace it? That is, leave a customer with zero landline option where cable doesn't have service.
--
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasury.

HaloFans

join:2006-12-18

Wouldn't the government have to force the telco for fiber deployment to happen?

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to FFH

said by FFH:

said by IowaCowboy:

But is it OK by you that they abandon copper landlines if they offer no fiber connection to replace it? That is, leave a customer with zero landline option where cable doesn't have service.

Or at least shut down copper networks where the telco offers equal or better service passing those residences (such as U-Verse or FiOS).
--
I've experienced ImOn (when they were McLeod USA), Mediacom, Comcast, and Time Warner. They are much better than broadcast TV.

I have not and will not cut the cord.

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

If Verizon were to pass my house with FiOS, I would kick Comcast to the curb in a heartbeat. And I would pay the hourly installation charge as my house is a townhouse duplex (which they consider an MDU/custom install but I would do the inside wiring myself).

I think the time has come to shut down the PSTN. I have my home phone through Comcast (mainly because the alarm system requires a phone line and for E911).

Disagree 100 percent, I will fight to keep copper and POTS until the day I expire. Have had to many expierences when bad weather came through and internet was down for up to 10 days where the POTS line worked like a champ during that period. Cell phone service was even more pathetic during that period, got to the point I heard "I am Sorry but we cannot complete the call as dialed"

In my neighborhood the term "Fiber" is related to what you had for breakfeast and not tele-communications - no I do not have DSL, have 100MB cable internet - and that is about as reliable as a Ford Edsel most of the time

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

said by FFH:

said by IowaCowboy:

Or at least shut down copper networks where the telco offers equal or better service passing those residences (such as U-Verse or FiOS).

there is nothing as reliable as POTS, had service on my landline while internet was down for 10 days

MovieLover76

join:2009-09-11
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

But what AT&T and Verizon are doing, isn't saying we'll shut down PSTN and put in fiber, they are just saying shut down PSTN and we'll upgrade what we feel is profitable to upgrade and the rest of the country can simply pay higher prices for wireless or use cable.

If they were replacing all PSTN with fiber, I think most of us would be for it, the regulation piece is still a thorn even in that case. We can't leave our entire telecommunications system unregulated. They need to add clear langugage that says we have the right to regulate IP services.

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Manchester, NH

1 edit
reply to wingrider01

said by wingrider01:

In my neighborhood the term "Fiber" is related to what you had for breakfeast and not tele-communications - no I do not have DSL, have 100MB cable internet - and that is about as reliable as a Ford Edsel most of the time

Is this a compliment for cable internet? In it's day, the Ford Edsel was reliable and technologically advanced. It simply came in a package that was generally perceived as ugly.

edit - furthur research on my part show the Edsel did have some reliability problems, but nothing out of line with other cars from the 50's.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

Isn't uverse copper too? VDSL?

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to TheRogueX

actually AT&T does have a FTTH network. Project LightSpeed aka U-Verse has a solid FTTH network in the original Ameritech region of the company. There was a powerpoint on this a while back with Ed talking about it and a major rebuild happened in Carlton MI which is just out side Monroe- Your only option for phone and Internet via landline is AT&T U-verse. WI has build outs as well.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to wingrider01

said by wingrider01:

there is nothing as reliable as POTS, had service on my landline while internet was down for 10 days

Our home was fed from an RT. We had DSL+Pots go out together. DSL came back in a few hours. It took 3 days for POTS to come back!
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to me1212

U-Verse is a brand for IP-DSL, VDSL and FTTH via AT&T.

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
reply to MovieLover76

And before the FCC was given the power to regulate the phone system, it was NOT regulated by them. The FCC was created for air-waves - by the radio stations - aka Clear Channel.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to TheRogueX

said by TheRogueX:

They don't want to shut down PSTN and migrate their users to fiber networks. AT&T doesn't HAVE a fiber network.

Eh? They do have FTTP in some parts of San Jose, California. But they don't allow use of the full capability.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to IowaCowboy

said by IowaCowboy:

99% of U-verse requires last mile copper; even if the customer is using U-verse voice (VOIP).
--
Norman

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to me1212

said by me1212:

Isn't uverse copper too? VDSL?

It is a mix. Some FTTP (~1%). The rest either ADSL2+ (IP-DSL), or VDSL (IP-DSL/IPTV).
--
Norman

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO
reply to TBBroadband

The FCC was created to do the job congress didnt want to do directly themselves because they are way to busy and being legally bribed through lobbying and worrying about scratching the backs of their business friends.

It should be modified to regulate ALL communications whether airwaves or wired regardless of method because ultimately congress is responsible for that and being they dont want to do it themselves they still need to have in place the regulating body to do so for them. And while they are at it, congress needs to ball up and give the agency the full authority to impose punishment on companies just as congress would if they were actually the ones regulating it.

If they want to pass of responsibility, then pass it off and stop this half-baked method they currently utilize.

ryder9

join:2003-01-09
here
reply to NormanS

only 80 MB to the ONT... don't ask how I know.......also, the FTTP product is NOT ready for pimetime....there is no document that covers MDU installs... single family?.. fine.. but MDU geenfield developments in dense urban areas(MDU's) are a f..in nightmare....

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by ryder9:

only 80 MB to the ONT... don't ask how I know.......also, the FTTP product is NOT ready for pimetime....

Sounds about right for AT&T FTTP. I think they do it just for bragging rights; but, as currently deployed, nothing like Verizon's FiOS, or Google, Paxio, or Sonic.net fiber.
--
Norman

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath
reply to Skippy25

The FCC had the chance to regulate the Internet, back during Brand X. At that time they decided that the Internet was an Information Service and NOT a communications service. Thus is why you do not see company XXX offering cable internet on Charter or anyone else.

The FCC screwed up and should be gutted and redone. And leave the phone and Internet out of it, especially with the actual POTS slowly going away. We do not need regulation on the Internet and it taxed to high hell like other services.

cubguy

join:2010-07-09
Greenwood Springs, MS
reply to djrobx

Or you could be like us. The phone guy uses our line to make test calls at the RT. (have heard him on the line before)....Wonderful when he forgets to plug it back in. Last outage was 18 hours and the only way we got it back then was to request an escalation because we have a handicapped person in the house with no other reliable service to call for emergencies.