Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hordeforlife

join:2009-05-13
Harrisonville, MO

2 edits

Do you run battlegrounds? I have a theory I want to test

I have a few questions for PvP players, especially those that reside on a server that has a very disproportionate A/H ratio.

I have a theory regarding Battleground PvP on those servers that I want to test. Seeing that I reside on a nearly even split server, I am planning to roll both an alliance and horde character on the single most lopsided server, Stormrage (9:1 A/H ratio!) to eventually PvP with and log my experience (to share on blog and podcast).

My theory is that PvP players of the minority faction on servers/battle groups with an extreme faction imbalance MAY perform better in BGs due to the smaller sample size of players equating to potentially more serious/better PvP players. Since BG queues are random, my theory posits that perhaps the minority faction (again were talking extreme minority only, not slight) are less likely to get casual, under skilled, under geared, under experienced players or at least get them in lower numbers.

In a sense my theory seeks to determine if the extreme minority faction might find on a more consistent basis that their groups contain more quality players on the whole. I want to confirm what seems like a numbers game; if the overall pool of players is smaller, will those players gain experience (read skill not XP) better gear and more cohesion as a unit in a shorter amount of time due to the smaller pool from which players are drawn?

What I do not know at this time is if perhaps these extreme imbalances at the server level are are offset at the battle group level by Blizzard.

Any other flaws in my logic?

Please note that this has ZERO to do with Horde vs Alliance and is solely based on the pool of players available to the minority faction.

liquoranne

join:2009-01-14
I would be suprised if the minority has a stronger player base. Think of it like high school sports...More people to pick from increases the chances of having better players. Hence the reason for 1-6A.

While the logic is sound, a lot of good players will generally leave an imbalanced group, further increasing the gap and skillset. While this might not always be true, i would assume it to be the norm.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
reply to Hordeforlife
Good idea in theory, but if you're talking about random BGs the point is moot, in my opinion.

Blizzard has removed battlegroup grouping restrictions for battlegrounds and dungeon finder.

»www.wowpedia.org/Battlegroup

edit: removed in the US, that is. I reckon if you play on a TW, EU, CN server it'd be a good experiment.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Hordeforlife

join:2009-05-13
Harrisonville, MO
Thanks for the cite, I had no idea this changed. So in essence, your experience on either faction is standard across all servers?

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2
said by Hordeforlife:

So in essence, your experience on either faction is standard across all servers?

Theoretically, yes. At least in the US region.
--
McBrain#1430

Name's Ash...Housewares.

Arsinic

join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA
kudos:1
reply to Hordeforlife
One time I swore I saw an alliance mage from Illidan with Gladiator.. Pretty sure it was a mirage, ghost, evil joke.

Josof

join:2010-10-23
Virginia Beach, VA
reply to Hordeforlife
I did the same thing many years ago, i purposely rolled ally on a 4:1 horde dominated server.

What i found was that on the ally side was that the guilds formed a type of coalition and in general other players were more inclined to help others who were being camped or ganked.

This was pre pve LFG and the community was alot different back then as well. I dont know if this made us better pvp'rs because we were ganked more and outnumbered in world pvp but it was fun times.
--
"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat." - Sun Tzu

Venom1

join:2011-10-21
Augusta, GA
reply to Arsinic
said by Arsinic:

One time I swore I saw an alliance mage from Illidan with Gladiator.. Pretty sure it was a mirage, ghost, evil joke.

the bell curve does have that part that slides way far to the right...
--
For Rogues, by Rogues, to be used at the Rogue drive through when you order a side-order of Rogue.

tuladrin

@idv.net
reply to Hordeforlife
I think it is a good idea, but MOP unfortunately is all about gear in PVP. You get an undergeared group vs a geared group and its over. Blizz is addressing this I believe in 5.2 so you may want to wait until then

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Hordeforlife
Dem odds

Snuffbox
nice irl
Premium
join:2011-04-15
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:4
reply to Arsinic
said by Arsinic:

He faction changed

"hey im mvp" (guild with virtually every famous PvP player in it) on Tich faction changed to Horde this expansion.

Gan

join:2009-04-10
Taiwan
reply to Venom1
I rolled an Alliance alt on Mal'Ganis. As someone here once mentioned, in the off-chance you do happen to come across one in the world, they are usually geared to the teeth with resilience and more than a little crazy.

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Gan:

I rolled an Alliance alt on Mal'Ganis. As someone here once mentioned, in the off-chance you do happen to come across one in the world, they are usually geared to the teeth with resilience and more than a little crazy.

I have yet to see one of these doing the dominance offensive dailies. The usually just look at my rogue and just walk away lol. He's not even full dreadful yet lol.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
I've seen the only 2 rogues on the server ganking horde at the inn on Halfhill.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

Cptbeatstix

join:2011-12-21
Carrollton, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by Jobbie:

I've seen the only 2 rogues on the server ganking horde at the inn on Halfhill.

Halfhill is basically where I see ganking happen. Even then it's rare for the alliance to do it. They just drop in and look for a person that hasn't moved for a minute or two and then attack/fly away.

DAMN ALLIANCE COWARDS!