« You can add
This is a sub-selection from PSTN Sunset

TheRogueX

join:2003-03-26
Springfield, MO

1 recommendation

reply to IowaCowboy

Re: PSTN Sunset

They don't want to shut down PSTN and migrate their users to fiber networks. AT&T doesn't HAVE a fiber network. They want those people to go to Wireless, because they make more money off of it.

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

actually AT&T does have a FTTH network. Project LightSpeed aka U-Verse has a solid FTTH network in the original Ameritech region of the company. There was a powerpoint on this a while back with Ed talking about it and a major rebuild happened in Carlton MI which is just out side Monroe- Your only option for phone and Internet via landline is AT&T U-verse. WI has build outs as well.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 recommendation

reply to TheRogueX

said by TheRogueX:

They don't want to shut down PSTN and migrate their users to fiber networks. AT&T doesn't HAVE a fiber network.

Eh? They do have FTTP in some parts of San Jose, California. But they don't allow use of the full capability.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

ryder9

join:2003-01-09
here

only 80 MB to the ONT... don't ask how I know.......also, the FTTP product is NOT ready for pimetime....there is no document that covers MDU installs... single family?.. fine.. but MDU geenfield developments in dense urban areas(MDU's) are a f..in nightmare....

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

said by ryder9:

only 80 MB to the ONT... don't ask how I know.......also, the FTTP product is NOT ready for pimetime....

Sounds about right for AT&T FTTP. I think they do it just for bragging rights; but, as currently deployed, nothing like Verizon's FiOS, or Google, Paxio, or Sonic.net fiber.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum