join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

1 recommendation

FFH5 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy

Re: PSTN Sunset

said by IowaCowboy:

They should be allowed to shut down the PSTN and force their customers onto fiber networks. One of the reasons that Verizon is reluctant to upgrade to FiOS is that many consumers (mostly middle aged and elderly) opt to remain on the PSTN/DSL even though their house is passed by FiOS.

But is it OK by you that they abandon copper landlines if they offer no fiber connection to replace it? That is, leave a customer with zero landline option where cable doesn't have service.

HaloFans
join:2006-12-18

HaloFans

Wouldn't the government have to force the telco for fiber deployment to happen?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by IowaCowboy:

They should be allowed to shut down the PSTN and force their customers onto fiber networks. One of the reasons that Verizon is reluctant to upgrade to FiOS is that many consumers (mostly middle aged and elderly) opt to remain on the PSTN/DSL even though their house is passed by FiOS.

But is it OK by you that they abandon copper landlines if they offer no fiber connection to replace it? That is, leave a customer with zero landline option where cable doesn't have service.

Or at least shut down copper networks where the telco offers equal or better service passing those residences (such as U-Verse or FiOS).
wingrider01
join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO

wingrider01

said by IowaCowboy:

said by FFH5:

said by IowaCowboy:

Or at least shut down copper networks where the telco offers equal or better service passing those residences (such as U-Verse or FiOS).

there is nothing as reliable as POTS, had service on my landline while internet was down for 10 days
me1212
join:2008-11-20
Lees Summit, MO

me1212 to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Isn't uverse copper too? VDSL?

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to wingrider01

Premium Member

to wingrider01
said by wingrider01:

there is nothing as reliable as POTS, had service on my landline while internet was down for 10 days

Our home was fed from an RT. We had DSL+Pots go out together. DSL came back in a few hours. It took 3 days for POTS to come back!
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to me1212

to me1212
U-Verse is a brand for IP-DSL, VDSL and FTTH via AT&T.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

99% of U-verse requires last mile copper; even if the customer is using U-verse voice (VOIP).
NormanS

NormanS to me1212

MVM

to me1212
said by me1212:

Isn't uverse copper too? VDSL?

It is a mix. Some FTTP (~1%). The rest either ADSL2+ (IP-DSL), or VDSL (IP-DSL/IPTV).
cubguy
join:2010-07-09
Lawrenceville, GA

cubguy to djrobx

to djrobx
Or you could be like us. The phone guy uses our line to make test calls at the RT. (have heard him on the line before)....Wonderful when he forgets to plug it back in. Last outage was 18 hours and the only way we got it back then was to request an escalation because we have a handicapped person in the house with no other reliable service to call for emergencies.
« You can add
This is a sub-selection from PSTN Sunset