share rss forum feed

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to RebelwoaClue

Re: Piggybacking 2 Modems?

so you bought a 602 but dont have the phone activated yet? where did you buy it from?
--
I'm better than you!

uhohmaybenot

@comcast.net

said by gar187er:

so you bought a 602 but dont have the phone activated yet? where did you buy it from?

What he said. The first eMTAs that Comcast sold were TM722s through selected retailers. Even now, only the 722s and 822s are for sell at Best Buys. While Comcast did directly sell a few older devices to subs if they asked, they are few and far between. Probably not even half a percent of devices were sold through Comcast. They were NOT proactively sold. 99.999% of the models prior to the TM722 are property of a cable company and you're gonna run into issues.

But to answer your question, yes, you can have an eMTA and a modem. The modem will get the internet bootfile and the eMTA will be provisioned for CDV.

RebelwoaClue

join:2013-01-29
Albuquerque, NM
reply to gar187er

Yes, the 602 (from Egghead) has been activated for a few months. I wanted to stop renting Comcast's modem. Then I purchased the 3.0 Surfboard and when they came out the rep. said that he shouldn't hook up the Surfboard because our Comcast hadn't upgraded to 3.0. Well, I found out that they had and apparently he just didn't want to bother with helping me. So, I wrote this forum to find out how to just do it myself and bypass Comcast's "help."

Thanks, but I'm still working on it because I'm starting to wonder if Comcast is worth $172/month and what I should do with my $2,000+/year subscription (w/phone & cable w/HBO & HD & broadband w/higher speed). For what I'm paying and the so-called service I'm not getting, I think I am being fleeced because they're taking advantage of my ignorance.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast

Well if the 602 is allready activated with phone my suggestion would just be hook the 3.0 surfboard modem up via a splitter and use the walled garden and activate it. Just hook it up grab your comcast bill and go thru the steps. Most times its very painless.