spc
Search similar:

uniqs

banner
@comcast.net

banner

Anon

brreaker

i have a breaker which has only 1 plug receptacle on it, the refrigerator and it keeps tripping, I put the refrigerator on another and it do not trip it. Any ideas?
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig

Turn off the breaker, Inspect all visible portions of the wire for damage or discoloration. If no problems are apparent, replace the duplex receptacle. (cost $1)
If no fix, then next step is ; turn off the main breaker, replace the breaker (cost $10)
Edit; While you are in there, inspect the breaker to bus bar contacts for evidence of arcing. eg pitting, discoloration
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to banner

to banner
Is it a plain breaker, gfci or afci?

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to banner

MVM

to banner
I agree with Tig See Profile. Obviously looking for any sign of wire damage is the first step. But most likely it is a bad connection at the outlet, a bad outlet, or a bad breaker. Any of which are cheap and easy to fix.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

Did you put any nails or screws into walls lately (hung pictures, mounted cabinets/shelfs, etc.) ?
Driving a nail or screw through a hidden cable in the wall may go unnoticed at the time of the incident if the breaker trips quickly.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to banner

Premium Member

to banner
I'm betting that the outlet's connected via a backstabbed connection. If it is, remove the conductors, clip off the ends of the wires that were backstabbed, strip a fresh 3/4" of clean wire and install it under the screws. The problem will likely cease.

Backstabs get loose and an intermittent connection on a motor load can easily trip a breaker due to the large inrush (and that goes even more for refrigeration compressors that restart too soon after shutting off).

incognito_2u
join:2005-03-15
Malverne, NY
Wistron NeWeb CR1000A
Arcadyan FiOS-E3200

incognito_2u

said by garys_2k:

I'm betting that the outlet's connected via a backstabbed connection......

Agreed....had same issue only it wasn't a refrigerator, but a microwave........wired the feed via the screw terminals behind the outlet and never had a problem again.