share rss forum feed

Somnambul33t
L33t.
Premium
join:2002-12-05
Blackwood, NJ
reply to Joe12345678

Re: Student146;s Expulsion Exposes Computer Science Culture Gap

the article mentions something about the student being told not to use school resources, and expelled him when continued using them.

Not defending the school, but i also think there's more to this than just an "information gap" or lack of reality @ the school/department (which i strongly believe exists in ALL colleges in ALL departments - they teach inside a tiny cocoon, barely preparing students for the real world in ANY capacity)

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

2 edits

Maybe so, but "computer science" is not the same thing as "training for an IT job". I belong to an apparently now-crusty generation that doesn't think a university education should exactly coincide with what employers want to hire this year. It's more about building up a solid foundation.

Back to the main topic: at this stage, it looks a lot like he-said/she-said. Whether the expulsion was justified hinges a lot on just how strongly he was told "don't do that any more" and also on the fact of whether it was a test system or on production servers.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

CS aka "computer science" is/should be training for being a programer.

Yes its in the field of IT but CS isn't aimed at net admins.

that's CiS aka "Computer information Systems"
but um looking over the stuff for it it's lacking and wouldn't really build a proper foundation.
--
»Death Star Petition