join:2009-09-11
Cherry Hill, NJ
(Software) pfSense
Asus RT-AC68
Asus RT-AC66

MovieLover76 to J E F F4

to J E F F4

Re: Too Little Too Late

Your dreaming, high and mighty apple change their basic design to compete. It'll won't happen. It took them over 5 years to increase the screen size from the puny 3.5 screen to 4 inches.
Physical keyboards would be way too much of a departure.

Also while a physical keyboard is good for blackberry, as the users most drawn to this will be former blackberry users, who had love affairs with their blackberry keyboards. for google and apple, keyboards are virtually dead. very few Android phones with keyboards are produced anymore. Because they don't sell well. While blackberry users love their physical keyboards, most who have switched to apple have adapted to software keyboards. I myself always hated physical keyboards, I prefer swype.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by MovieLover76:

Your dreaming, high and mighty apple change their basic design to compete. It'll won't happen. It took them over 5 years to increase the screen size from the puny 3.5 screen to 4 inches.
Physical keyboards would be way too much of a departure.

I agree but I laugh at people with those huge 5" Samsung phones. Way too big of a brick! If I wanted to carry a tablet, I would carry one. And if I wanted a stylus I'd go back to my Treo 650 where I lost them all the time.
quote:
blackberry users love their physical keyboards, most who have switched to apple have adapted to software keyboards. I myself always hated physical keyboards, I prefer swype.

When I'm on call, I have to carry a BB Bold and HATE the physical keyboard. It's horrible to use and some of the choices (press 2 keys for a period, for example) suck. I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

1 recommendation

sleuth3

Premium Member

said by itguy05 See Profile
When I'm on call, I have to carry a BB Bold and HATE the physical keyboard. It's horrible to use and some of the choices (press 2 keys for a period, for example) suck. I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

What really? I find my experience totally 180 of yours. I hate having to go through multiple windows for special characters. While I could hit 2 different keys to input one on the BB. Then typing on the touchscreen too fast leads to ridiculous jargon. I have to take my time, make sure the autocorrect is actually correct, etc. I would take the speed and accuracy of the BB keyboard no doubt. It was immensely easier for me to respond to messages and emails.

itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05

said by sleuth3:

What really? I find my experience totally 180 of yours. I hate having to go through multiple windows for special characters. While I could hit 2 different keys to input one on the BB. Then typing on the touchscreen too fast leads to ridiculous jargon. I have to take my time, make sure the autocorrect is actually correct, etc. I would take the speed and accuracy of the BB keyboard no doubt. It was immensely easier for me to respond to messages and emails.

Let's see here:

On the Blackberry, the Period is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone, it's there.
On the Blackberry, the / is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone it's there
On the Blackberry, numbers are frustrating to type (2 key press for each).
Dialing the phone on the BB is a PITA as there is no keypad and you have to try to find the small buttons with the #s on them.

I'm sure there are more but I found trying to use the small keys a nightmare and using the Web an exercise in frustration.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

Especially now that voice recognition software makes even typing on a virtual keyboard not needed most of the time. I talk to my smartphone to type messages and send txts.

sleuth3
Premium Member
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA

sleuth3 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Let's see here:

On the Blackberry, the Period is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone, it's there.
On the Blackberry, the / is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone it's there
On the Blackberry, numbers are frustrating to type (2 key press for each).
Dialing the phone on the BB is a PITA as there is no keypad and you have to try to find the small buttons with the #s on them.

I'm sure there are more but I found trying to use the small keys a nightmare and using the Web an exercise in frustration.

While I agree with your assessment on the layout, the touchscreen isn't anymore efficient. You still have to navigate between 2 screens for letters, numbers and characters.

I'd rather press 2 buttons then navigate 2 or 3 windows, IMO. Again I'm looking for efficiency when I'm typing since I have to respond to long emails some times.
tired_runner
Premium Member
join:2000-08-25
CT

tired_runner to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
This

I've gotten used to the screen keyboard. I find the physical keyboard on most Blackberry phones inefficient for my fat fingers as it is.

djrobx
Premium Member
join:2000-05-31
Reno, NV

djrobx to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3
I don't like physical keyboards because they never last for me. They wear down, get gunk in them, etc, despite my best efforts to keep them clean.

I've also had several phones that have had problems with the "ribbon cable" that wears out from the mechanical action, causing half the keys to go dead.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson to sleuth3

Premium Member

to sleuth3
The software keyboards change based on what you're doing. Dialpad for phone, texting necessities for texting, web buttons for browsing, etc. This is what a physical keyboard can't do.
TBBroadband
join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH

TBBroadband to itguy05

to itguy05
I never had those problems on my BB Curve nor BB Storm 2

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to itguy05

MVM

to itguy05
said by itguy05:

I agree but I laugh at people with those huge 5" Samsung phones. Way too big of a brick! If I wanted to carry a tablet, I would carry one. And if I wanted a stylus I'd go back to my Treo 650 where I lost them all the time.

That's the great thing about choice. You get to choose! Some people want to carry one device and have it serve as a phone and a tablet. Other people want to have just a smart phone. And yet others don't mind carrying a phone and a tablet of some size.

Catering to all three markets maximizes your potential sales.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri to FFH5

to FFH5
said by FFH5:

said by itguy05:

I'll take my virtual keyboard thanks.

Especially now that voice recognition software makes even typing on a virtual keyboard not needed most of the time. I talk to my smartphone to type messages and send txts.

I'm sorry.... am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious?? I used to joke about people using voice recognition to send texts...... WHY NOT JUST TALK?????

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by CosmicDebri:

I'm sorry.... am I the only one who thinks this is hilarious?? I used to joke about people using voice recognition to send texts...... WHY NOT JUST TALK?????

Because my younger relatives don't talk on their smartphones or even answer voice calls. They communicate by txt msgs; Facebook IMs; and very occasionally with emails. Voice is for really important things - like someone died or my car broke down & come and get me.

CosmicDebri
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

That's just sad..... but apparently true.....

People text more than talk..... most likely because they are texting when they CAN'T talk.... like in class, at work, in the operating room......

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

Guspaz to CosmicDebri

MVM

to CosmicDebri
said by CosmicDebri:

Because it's way faster for me to use Siri to say "Tell Andrew I'll be there in 5" than it is to find his name in the address book, dial him, wait for him to pick up, say "Hey Andrew, I'll be there in 5 minutes.", wait for him to respond, use the normal pleasantries to end the conversation, and then hang up?

I've never understood the "WHY NOT JUST CALL" people... Do you really not understand the difference between one way and two way communication, or interactive and non-interactive communication?

CosmicDebri
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

oh.... so I guess it's acceptable nowadays to talk AT people not TO them..... that's how I understand your one way/two way communication analogy......

This is what they call 'Social Media' or 'Social Interaction' these days..... once again I have to say... how sad......

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to itguy05

Premium Member

to itguy05
4.5" is the sweet spot for me. If I had to pick between 5" and 4" or smaller I would go with 5".

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka to bobjohnson

MVM

to bobjohnson
I think your collective heads would explode if you ever saw someone entering Japanese using a 10 digit numeric keypad.

That is a talent...

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Entry in kana followed by intellitype-style conversion to kanji. It can be pretty efficient, I'm sure.
« PlayBook Update
This is a sub-selection from Too Little Too Late