share rss forum feed

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

1 recommendation

reply to MarkAW

Re: Become HBO

HBO's shows cost a lot of money to produce. They take major risks no one else is going to take. There is no way Netflix will produce something like Game of Thrones, which by some estimates cost $8 million per episode.

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

Boardwalk Empire is my favorite show. The budget must be a lot lower. There are no special effects and visual enhancements in this show. It is mainly set in the 1920's.

aaronwt
Premium
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA

said by brianiscool:

Boardwalk Empire is my favorite show. The budget must be a lot lower. There are no special effects and visual enhancements in this show. It is mainly set in the 1920's.

You aren't serious are you? Pretty much every scripted show on Tv has special effects. Whether it's to change the color of the sky, the color of clothing, to insert an object or background in the scene, or to change the look of a face.

Boardwalk empire is no exception.

Here a video that shows some of the FX on Boardwalk Empire.

»www.theverge.com/2012/1/21/27242···-digital

Kamus

join:2011-01-27
El Paso, TX
reply to silbaco

said by silbaco:

HBO's shows cost a lot of money to produce. They take major risks no one else is going to take. There is no way Netflix will produce something like Game of Thrones, which by some estimates cost $8 million per episode.

That's true, GoT is expensive to make. In fact some episodes would've been worth entire movie budgets if they had the money. George RR martin did say he would take donations for those episodes. Which gives me an idea of what the future of high budget TV will be like:

Crowd-funding. Fans of the shows would no doubt support a plea for help like that one and make the show possible. It has worked for a lot of new start ups and i see no reason why it wouldn't work for cultural phenomena like some TV shows.

You have to remember all the areas that technology advancements are affecting before you worry too much, eventually all this stuff converges and makes the impossible possible.

mike10

join:2004-03-02
reply to brianiscool

there set was very expensive to build