« You can add
This is a sub-selection from PSTN Sunset

wingrider01

join:2006-07-25
Saint Louis, MO
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: PSTN Sunset

said by IowaCowboy:

They should be allowed to shut down the PSTN and force their customers onto fiber networks. One of the reasons that Verizon is reluctant to upgrade to FiOS is that many consumers (mostly middle aged and elderly) opt to remain on the PSTN/DSL even though their house is passed by FiOS.

If Verizon were to pass my house with FiOS, I would kick Comcast to the curb in a heartbeat. And I would pay the hourly installation charge as my house is a townhouse duplex (which they consider an MDU/custom install but I would do the inside wiring myself).

I think the time has come to shut down the PSTN. I have my home phone through Comcast (mainly because the alarm system requires a phone line and for E911).

Disagree 100 percent, I will fight to keep copper and POTS until the day I expire. Have had to many expierences when bad weather came through and internet was down for up to 10 days where the POTS line worked like a champ during that period. Cell phone service was even more pathetic during that period, got to the point I heard "I am Sorry but we cannot complete the call as dialed"

In my neighborhood the term "Fiber" is related to what you had for breakfeast and not tele-communications - no I do not have DSL, have 100MB cable internet - and that is about as reliable as a Ford Edsel most of the time

PaulHikeS2

join:2003-03-06
Fitchburg, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
said by wingrider01:

In my neighborhood the term "Fiber" is related to what you had for breakfeast and not tele-communications - no I do not have DSL, have 100MB cable internet - and that is about as reliable as a Ford Edsel most of the time

Is this a compliment for cable internet? In it's day, the Ford Edsel was reliable and technologically advanced. It simply came in a package that was generally perceived as ugly.

edit - furthur research on my part show the Edsel did have some reliability problems, but nothing out of line with other cars from the 50's.
--
Jay: What the @#$% is the internet???