The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
reply to Lburg

Re: How to detect signal

said by Lburg :

I had the local wireless internet provider come out and see if i could get service. The signal strength was something like 69 dBi and they said I needed 82 dBi (if I remember correctly) so I can't get internet. I plan on getting an antenna mast to mount on my roof and I don't know how tall I need. Is there a way I could get some type of equipment to detect the signal so I could experiment and see how tall an antenna mast I need. I don't want to steal internet just see if it is there. I believe the frequency is 2.4 Ghz. I have called the WISP and their answer is I don't know.

Probably best in the wireless users forum.

You probably have it reversed, you had -82db, and they want -69db.

-82 is a good long way from -69db. You can buy equipment to detect signals, but they should have given you a recommendation on what to do, how high to go, a simple mast on the roof might not be enough, and you can only go so high with those (8 feet) in a tripod without guying it off.

Id also be weary of a WISP that answers your questions with "I dont know". Id see if you can get someone back to tell you what you need to do.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca