sleuth
Premium
join:2001-08-30
West Des Moines, IA
reply to itguy05

Re: Too Little Too Late

said by itguy05:

Let's see here:

On the Blackberry, the Period is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone, it's there.
On the Blackberry, the / is a 2 key press for URL's. On the iPhone it's there
On the Blackberry, numbers are frustrating to type (2 key press for each).
Dialing the phone on the BB is a PITA as there is no keypad and you have to try to find the small buttons with the #s on them.

I'm sure there are more but I found trying to use the small keys a nightmare and using the Web an exercise in frustration.

While I agree with your assessment on the layout, the touchscreen isn't anymore efficient. You still have to navigate between 2 screens for letters, numbers and characters.

I'd rather press 2 buttons then navigate 2 or 3 windows, IMO. Again I'm looking for efficiency when I'm typing since I have to respond to long emails some times.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO

I don't like physical keyboards because they never last for me. They wear down, get gunk in them, etc, despite my best efforts to keep them clean.

I've also had several phones that have had problems with the "ribbon cable" that wears out from the mechanical action, causing half the keys to go dead.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.

bobjohnson
Premium
join:2007-02-03
Orlando, FL
reply to sleuth

The software keyboards change based on what you're doing. Dialpad for phone, texting necessities for texting, web buttons for browsing, etc. This is what a physical keyboard can't do.

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2

I think your collective heads would explode if you ever saw someone entering Japanese using a 10 digit numeric keypad.

That is a talent...
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1

Entry in kana followed by intellitype-style conversion to kanji. It can be pretty efficient, I'm sure.