Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Optiplex 330 Boot from CD

I have 2 Optiplex 330 desktops that I'd like to install Windows 8 on. For the life of me I can't get either of them to boot from the optical drive. I have made sure that the CD drive is first in the boot menu in the bios. I have also tried the f12 manually choose the CD drive. In both cases it acts as though the CD drive doesn't exist, and just goes right into XP on the HD. The CD light doesn't even blink. It's simply not looking at it! I have verified that the bios can see the CD drive. They both have it installed on SATA port 2. Is there something about this model that prevents CD drive boot? Maybe a security "feature."
--
I'm with the Central Government. I'm here to help you. Now bend over, really, I'm helping you, just, just stay still. You'll feel better in a moment.

ImpldConsent
Under Siege
Premium
join:2001-03-04
Mcdonough, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·magicjack.com

Well, it appears that the CD-ROM drive is being seen by the BIOS if you can select it. I'd check the integrity of the OS disk. Is this a bootable CD or DVD and if DVD is your drive a DVD drive? When it boots into XP, can you see the CD drive? If so, what happens when you try to "Explore" it with the Windows 8 (CD/DVD) inserted? Just some options. I took a look at the User Guide and nothing seems to be weird. There is a HDD password option, but it doesn't exist with the CD drive.
--
That's "MISTER" Kafir to you.

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
kudos:1
reply to Rexter

I have seen this behavior in other Dell models. In those, the OS install was not the original Dell install (if I remember right, there was no OS installed at all but I cant be sure on that). After scouring the Dell forums, it seems there is some type of link between the DVD drive and the OS install; no original install, DVD drive would not work preboot. I installed an extra non-Dell DVD drive I had lying around, it worked. Switched it back to the Dell drive, it wouldnt work, so I just ended up replacing the DVD drive.
--
»www.teknonerd.com

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA
reply to Rexter

I have an Optiplex 330 as my work PC, as well as dealing with dozens, if not hundreds of them there. I haven't experienced that issue with any of them that I've done fresh OS installs with. Try a different disc or drive.
--
KI6RIT

Rexter
YeeHaw

join:2002-11-17
cloud 9
reply to Rexter

I ended up using a USB drive. It was slow, but otherwise worked perfectly.

Thanks