Search similar:

uniqs
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory

Excited

I must admit that I'm a little excited. I want a grand scifi show set in space or in the future though... Just something fun and along the lines of shows like Stargate, BSG, Star Trek, Space AAB, Space:1999, Babylon 5, or even Firefly but for today's sophisticated tastes and expectations.

CosmicDebri
Still looking for intelligent life
join:2001-09-01
Lake City, FL

CosmicDebri

said by jjeffeory:

I must admit that I'm a little excited. I want a grand scifi show set in space or in the future though... Just something fun and along the lines of shows like Stargate, BSG, Star Trek, Space AAB, Space:1999, Babylon 5, or even Firefly but for today's sophisticated tastes and expectations.

I'm with ya on that score. Good scifi isn't easy to find anymore.....

I do have to take an exception to the comment about 'today's sophisticated tastes and expectations' however.

Have you cruised thru the guide on cable lately?? It's all rednecks, honey boo boos, Kardasians, pawn shops and blank wars, (ie storage wars parking wars, shipping wars, etc).

If that's what's considered sophisticated today.... then we are in big trouble....

Gitrdun
@acsalaska.net

Gitrdun to jjeffeory

Anon

to jjeffeory
This was already attempted with shows like Stargate Universe, Terminator the Sarah Connor Chronicles, and Charlie Jade.

Stargate Universe
»www.imdb.com/title/tt1286039/

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles
»www.imdb.com/title/tt0851851/

Charlie Jade
»www.imdb.com/title/tt0408378/

All of these television properties showed promise, but failed to retain viewer-ship (by Nielsen ratings). SGU and TSCC both started to reach their stride late into their second season yet were canceled. Netflix could bring back one of these shows, but would have difficulty reviving either property due to actor's scheduling conflicts (Robert Carlyle is committed to Once Upon a Time, Lena Headey is committed to Game of Thrones).

On the other hand Charlie Jade saw a number of production issues with the replacement of their writing team early after the first few episodes and got much better toward the end. You might even see quite a number of similarities and liberties taken by JJ Abrams series Fringe lifting ideas from Charlie Jade. Sadly this show was canceled after one season in Canada and SyFy moved the show to 3am timeslot after the first episode(s).
jjeffeory
jjeffeory
join:2002-12-04
Bloomington, IN

jjeffeory to CosmicDebri

to CosmicDebri
I hear ya; I was trying to be positive about today's tastes. When you put into context with Honey Boo Boo, it sounds bad! I meant sophisticated "Sci-Fi", with "better" stories and special effects. Ugh, I know what you're saying though...
jjeffeory

jjeffeory to Gitrdun

to Gitrdun
I know about all these shows besides Charlie Jade as I watched them and was pretty sad when they went off the air. Sarah Connor Chronicles was getting interesting ( to me) and I was starting to get into SG:U more after they started introducing some alien conflict into the mix. A writer's strike partially killed that show and they waited too long to add alien conflict into the mix. The problem is that studios don't give sci-fi shows enough of a chance to find their legs before axing them. Netflix may be a good place for these shows. Thanks for coments though! I'll have to see if Charlie Jade is any good.