spc
uniqs
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to officederamo

to officederamo

Re: Cannot connect to static IP computer

Hmm . Why are all your pc's directly connected to the cisco dumb router ? I call it that because its not really a router. Just something cablevision uses to bind the ip's to.

You really should have a router after their cisco box. Just for some extra security.
officederamo
join:2004-09-22
Pomona, NY

officederamo

I know it has been quite awhile since I replied. Although my issue is not completely solved I can tell everyone that there is definitely a conflict with running two nics with one static and a second assigned a lan ip from a router.
On suggestion from Cablevision that helped some was to open the tcpip properties for the static IP, then click on advanced and then assign a value of 2 under the automatic metric.
I know little about this but apparently that will keep the static IP from working against the lan IP.
Hope it helps someone else with the issue.

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

You may want to post in the networking forum for more help with your issue, since it does not seem to be related to Cablevision. It seems your issue is related to networking when a single computer is on 2 subnets.

Did Cablevision charge you for LAN support?
cablewizzard
join:2009-06-14
Woodbury, NY

cablewizzard to officederamo

to officederamo
said by officederamo:

I know it has been quite awhile since I replied. Although my issue is not completely solved I can tell everyone that there is definitely a conflict with running two nics with one static and a second assigned a lan ip from a router.
On suggestion from Cablevision that helped some was to open the tcpip properties for the static IP, then click on advanced and then assign a value of 2 under the automatic metric.
I know little about this but apparently that will keep the static IP from working against the lan IP.
Hope it helps someone else with the issue.

Woah: That sounds like a single Windows(?) machine connected to 2 networks via 2 NICs, hence conflicting default routes. You can't do that, and the "metric =2" hack is obscuring the issue : this is not a valid configuration.

Run your windows machine's cmd.exe and type "netstat -rn" - if you see 2 default routes (0.0.0.0 / 0.0.0.0), you have an invalid configuration. A windows machine simply CANNOT work with competing default routes - it starts doing random wonky stuff: packets out one interface for one connection, out the other on the next. You MUST configure both NICs statically, and suppress the default route on one of the interfaces (don't ask me how to do that, it's a trivial task under Linux), presumably the local RFC1918 network - and DHCP is a non-starter here.

This has nothing to do with Cablevision providing inconsistent service, but everything with your local network setup being invalid.