spc
Search similar:

uniqs
DaveL54
join:2005-11-12
Urbana, IL

DaveL54

[Voip.ms] losing registration

Once in a while I will lose registration and not realize it for a while.
Usually someone emails me with a heads up.
Anyone got any idea how I might get notification via the system to alert me?
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig

I think you should focus on resolving the reason registration is lost and not recovered.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable can advise on that.
I worked through this at my father's place (for way too long) adjusting settings in the ATA and was surprised to find that switching to open DNS resolved the problem. After enduring a couple years of sporadic (sometimes daily) problems, it's been fine for 9 months.
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to DaveL54

Premium Member

to DaveL54
I would recommend posting more details, like what is the device, pbx or software you're using. Email notifications are a nice bandaid sometimes advertised as a feature but they won't resolve your problem.

If you've a Linksys based device, Mango has great articles. We'll also have a bunch of wiki articles but it would help to know at least your device and firmware version.

Joliet Jacob
@optonline.net

1 edit

Joliet Jacob to DaveL54

Anon

to DaveL54
said by DaveL54:

Once in a while I will lose registration and not realize it for a while....

....Anyone got any idea how I might get notification via the system to alert me?

There certainly are monitoring tools, but that's not really the point.

It should not be happening under normal conditions.

How often is it happening? Is it because your internet service itself is dropping? And are there any power surges or momentary brownouts?

Which Voip.MS server? What router and what ATA/IP phone are being used?

As far as monitoring, this might help out.
»www.voipspear.com/index
DaveL54
Urbana, IL

DaveL54

Cisco E2500 router, obhai202 (just updated), Houston at the moment, usually Chicago.
Don't get me wrong. This is a once in a while thing. Not chronic.
I do tend to think that it might be a surge thing, even though it's all run through a APC UPS.
Had a big thunderclap last night but nothing else blinked.
Rebooting the obhai fixes it.

I do have that little voip.ms gadget created by member esenterre on my desktop. It does show when not registered. Perhaps he can make it blink when that happens to catch my attention.

»My Windows VoIP.ms monitor Gagdet
zapattack
join:2012-07-02
CANADA

zapattack

My gadget does not refresh reliably (10 minutes). Does yours?
As far as losing registration, my PBXes.org account loses the Los Angeles server every couple of days and has for months. No settings I can change.
Tig
join:2006-06-29
Carrying Place, ON

Tig to DaveL54

to DaveL54
Have you checked you ATA settings against the configuration samples in your voip.ms portal under the support tab?

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR to DaveL54

to DaveL54
I have had much luck lowering the registration time number in the ATA's config settings. It tries re-connect much more frequently. Maybe set it to every hour....
grand total
join:2005-10-26
Mississauga

grand total

said by VexorgTR:

Maybe set it to every hour....

Do you mean minute?

VexorgTR
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR

Doh... yeah. 3600 seconds is default for lots of systems. I find that using a number like 500 or 250 works better.
DaveL54
Urbana, IL

DaveL54 to zapattack

to zapattack
My gadget also does not refresh like it should. Going to check the ata settings to see if there is a correlation.

VexorgTR
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR

Many of the ATA's we use, 3600sec is the recommended time for registration. lowering it down to 500, or 200.. many times solves disconnects.
davekaye
join:2010-01-19
Palo Alto, CA

davekaye

To change the refresh time, you need to change the script for the gadget. See:
»code.google.com/p/voipms ··· ail?id=4