spc
Search similar:

uniqs

loosedobbs
join:2006-06-13
Toronto

loosedobbs

Anybody like Toronto Star new web site?

Me not like. But comment section has improved a bit.

daT
Know thyself, be yourself.
Premium Member
join:2002-09-15
M6K XXX

daT

Premium Member

cluttered

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
Not at all. I loaded the site this morning and a quiet little WTF at my desk.

Not impressed and found that I was less interested in the content. With their paywall going up some time this year this just helps to remind me that I should stop going there!
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
Who reads the paper online anyways when it gets delivered to your door.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by peterboro:

And long before 6:00 AM and in a nice plastic bag. Our motor carrier has expert aim so it lands just... so.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I WAS subscriber for last 16-17 years. At time I paid about $8 and last month ( for about 5 years) I paid $1 per week. Now I have only globe and mail. Which soon I will stop.

But you need to go online to comment on the stories or read some entertaining comments.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to DKS

to DKS
said by DKS:

And long before 6:00 AM and in a nice plastic bag. Our motor carrier has expert aim so it lands just... so.

My guys put them in the proper mailboxes on the porch.
peterboro

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

I WAS subscriber for last 16-17 years. At time I paid about $8 and last month ( for about 5 years) I paid $1 per week. Now I have only globe and mail. Which soon I will stop.

But you need to go online to comment on the stories or read some entertaining comments.

Mine are a write off and about a buck a week. Comments online for me are a no go as they would not be published if my posting history in here is any indicator.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

I am surprised anyone gets paper newspapers delivered anymore. I get all my news - local, national, international online for free. And even with paywalls, there are always free competing sources. And most paywalls now allow up to so many free views per month anyway.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by loosedobbs:

Mine are a write off and about a buck a week. Comments online for me are a no go as they would not be published if my posting history in here is any indicator.

i have star delivery now and its a buck a week til next Oct or something. Hardcopy is always handy if you need to start a fire , mask while painting , need a disposable surface to take apart something greasy etc. Reading news online vs a hard print is a different user experience. You dont see much random shit online vs when I flip the whole thing cover to cover its a diversion and you read a lot of crap i normally wont bother with. I like the globe but it got pricey. Online the national post has best portal interfqce and articles of the big three. Sun dont even consider it.

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium Member
join:2000-07-15
GTA

digitalfutur to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
It's better than before, but not as good as »www.usatoday.com/

Sites are moving in the direction of tiled / clustered webpage design, with distinct zones and a more horizontal design. The Star's site is taking baby steps in that direction.

no like
@videotron.ca

no like to loosedobbs

Anon

to loosedobbs
looks like crap.

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
IMHO Way too much real estate around the border as advertising And the body of the articles in times new roman font doesn't appear attractive. It looks cluttered and requires too much concentration to read. They need to do some tuning on margins , fonts etc.

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71 to loosedobbs

to loosedobbs
too white, not enough colour, way too much big white space on the sides (I'm using adblockplus, I'm assuming it's stripping out ads there?)

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to koira

to koira
said by koira:

said by peterboro:

said by loosedobbs:

i have star delivery now and its a buck a week til next Oct or something. Hardcopy is always handy if you need to start a fire , mask while painting , need a disposable surface to take apart something greasy etc. Reading news online vs a hard print is a different user experience. You dont see much random shit online vs when I flip the whole thing cover to cover its a diversion and you read a lot of crap i normally wont bother with. I like the globe but it got pricey. Online the national post has best portal interfqce and articles of the big three. Sun dont even consider it.

I agree with the Hardcopy thing. And about type of uses? been there done that. Old habits die hard but it is no good for threads here. Its like give me linky or shut up...or some discussion.

It is easy to find old news online and post here. Imagine to do that with print. So web sites are important. It should be easy and nice.
First impression is not good but as said Old Habits. Dont like the changes. I hated even when print edition changed few years back with top cut for the journalists.

But looking at the site people are impressed like hell. May be half of them work at Star.

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

God no... i can't stand it. I find it's a mess. I feel like they are shoving WAY too much at me when i first load the page. I thought CBC's new site when it launchd a year ago? was bad, but the star as expected made a huge mess of it.

All to proceed with their "paywall" idea
said by creed3020:

Not at all. I loaded the site this morning and a quiet little WTF at my desk.

Not impressed and found that I was less interested in the content. With their paywall going up some time this year this just helps to remind me that I should stop going there!

EXACTLY!... I usually spend a good 30 minutes or so reading in the morning, every morning. Today i felt bored in under 3 minutes and left the site to CBC.
said by peterboro:

The paper at my door doesn't update multiple times a day with new stories. That's why i read it.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Tx:

The paper at my door doesn't update multiple times a day with new stories. That's why i read it.

I don't need play by play on the minute unless the world is coming to an end and the zombies are rising.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by Tx:

I don't need play by play on the minute unless the world is coming to an end and the zombies are rising.

It's not about play by play. There have been several stories i've followed to keep on top of. You cannot follow these when you're at work with no tv. When i get spare minutes i open up news.

edit: irregardless, the new toronto star web site sucks. Even if they did a paywall, i wouldn't pay for it because the site is bloated now and it's a mess.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by Tx:

True.

But news is always changing. And sometime the print edition contain news which are just some twits. You dont need such news printed or paid for...even if it is write offs.
Remember even TV news has repeated news are you are paying for it. Or somebody is if it is write off.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

It's not about play by play. There have been several stories i've followed to keep on top of. You cannot follow these when you're at work with no tv. When i get spare minutes i open up news.

edit: irregardless, the new toronto star web site sucks. Even if they did a paywall, i wouldn't pay for it because the site is bloated now and it's a mess.

Few people sit around without news on a basic cable package or over the air feed unless they are some sort of recluse.

urbanriot
Premium Member
join:2004-10-18
Canada

urbanriot to loosedobbs

Premium Member

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

It's terrible. They haven't learned to dynamically adjust the layout of the content for the width of a browser. Certainly not something I'd pay for.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

But news is always changing.

Patience is a virtue. Some day you will learn to slow down and enjoy a life without instant everything. This is just the natural progression from these ridiculous little electronic trinket smart phones and other garbage people are tethered to now.

loosedobbs
Toronto

loosedobbs

said by peterboro:

said by loosedobbs:

Patience is a virtue. Some day you will learn to slow down and enjoy a life without instant everything. This is just the natural progression from these ridiculous little electronic trinket smart phones and other garbage people are tethered to now.

Hey am old now and already slowing down. I even drive at 120KM/h and not at 160-170Km/h, even in Toronto.

But sometime you need web sites to get news. Like when terrorists attack. or shooting in school.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx to peterboro

Premium Member

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by loosedobbs:

You realize the irony as you post on a forum right? lol

It's not about patience, it's about knowledge. I don't care too much about reading on murders and stuff, but i find several stores, blogs etc intriguing. I don't care to read gossip like TMZ or perezhilton. I like some news.

Though the star's quality in journalism has declined i still enjoyed reading the odds and ends. Several articles about every day life that weren't news i also doubt would be printed on paper. As said previously, i enjoy reading people's comments on stories too.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

to loosedobbs
said by loosedobbs:

Hey am old now and already slowing down. But sometime you need web sites to get news. Like when terrorists attack. or shooting in school.

You're not quite there if you need instant news. I remember 9/11 and found CNN quite adequate.
peterboro

peterboro (banned) to Tx

to Tx
said by Tx:

Yes, but just as missionaries of old had to go forth into the heathens to spread the word I now must go forth into the digital ether to spread the word of the truth about the fallacy of our modern reliance on technology.

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by Tx:

Yes, but just as missionaries of old had to go forth into the heathens to spread the word I now must go forth into the digital ether to spread the word of the truth about the fallacy of our modern reliance on technology.

Hey, we agree there! lol... Some might think the world would come to an end should technology stop working. I think it'd be the greatest thing to man kind.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by Tx:

Hey, we agree there! lol... Some might think the world would come to an end should technology stop working. I think it'd be the greatest thing to man kind.

I think this sentiment is best summed up in one of my favorite scenes in the movies with Snake Plissken in Escape From LA.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· Yr81jZ6g

Tx
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by Tx:

I think this sentiment is best summed up in one of my favorite scenes in the movies with Snake Plissken in Escape From LA.

»www.youtube.com/watch?fe ··· Yr81jZ6g

Been awhile since i seen that movie, forgot about that scene. Such a fitting clip though haha. That sums it up very well

kingb71
join:2000-10-09
Mississauga, ON

kingb71

I can't find the links to the mobile site.
The full site shows up, which isn't as bad as the previous full site on my mobile device.