MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM to minoe

Premium Member

to minoe

Re: [General] voip.ms Ping vs. routing

Although it's true that Jitter is very important, if Jitter is not an issue for you, assuming you have a good internet connection, the next most important factor is latency. So you can go with that if you don't have the tools to measure Jitter. The most important element is packet loss, way before jitter.

Packet Loss -> Jitter -> Latency

Of course if latency passes a certain threshold, then it becomes as important as the other factors (For example, My friend's fishing boat has Satellite Internet, the servers where I can get 500 latency are much better than the server I get over 600 MS, regardless if the jitter is a bit better, because the conversation becomes too delayed)

So with all that jargon and personal recommendations, what you should do? Try the server closest to you first, and see how it goes. Because you're in Ontario, Toronto or Montreal.

ThaiGuy
join:2008-05-10
Thailand

ThaiGuy

What tools can be used to measure Jitter and are there any guides available to help VoIP'ers to measure Packet Loss, Jitter and Latency?

LHI
@teksavvy.com

LHI

Anon

said by ThaiGuy:

What tools can be used to measure Jitter and are there any guides available to help VoIP'ers to measure Packet Loss, Jitter and Latency?

Try Pingtest.net
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to ThaiGuy

Premium Member

to ThaiGuy
said by ThaiGuy:

+1

It's be nice to find out a tool, that will do the job. Any suggestions?
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24 to ThaiGuy

to ThaiGuy
Here's another one

»myspeed.visualware.com/i ··· voip.php
MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium Member
join:2008-07-21

MartinM

Premium Member

I second that one, very complete and visual graphics are neat. You can also choose your codec. My only con is you need to install java.

VexorgTR
join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH

VexorgTR

As much as I'd like to say the testing is really valid, the Internet is weird in the hops/pings and such... sometimes you just have to TRY a server and see how it works for you.

The tests are fun though.