uniqs
share rss forum feed
« The morality cops
This is a sub-selection from Oh well.

laserman

@comcastbusiness.net
reply to silbaco

Re: Oh well.

Well what about the old recording people use to do with cassette recorders from radio stations, illegal? I don't think so, they get paid for their music and actually pay radio stations to play it, so why not record it? The world has changed to a more modern developed society, if the artist or actors don't want their stuff recorded then take it off the radio or tv, I bet then they have no sales.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA

said by laserman :

Well what about the old recording people use to do with cassette recorders from radio stations, illegal?

The recording wasn't illegal. Selling mixtapes recorded from one's record collection was where the issue started. It's the ability to share perfect digital copies that is driving this.
When I was younger, a 300baud modem would take hours to download anything. A bit older, and the 170MB (yes, megabyte) drive cost $300, so the idea of downloading a song and storing it made no sense. Now, a song is a fraction of a second to download. And the storage cost is zero. (about 1/40 cent per song. that's zero to me.)