uniqs
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to Devanchya

to Devanchya

Re: Accessiblity requirements

said by Devanchya:

When we built our church, oh must be almost 20 years ago now, we put everything on one level, and the Congregational area has ramps instead of steps. There's even a 'Walker Buddy' system in place where the Ushers will put your walker to the back of the church if you want to sit in the middle of the pews

I'll point out, because I don't like organized religion and the filter on my keyboard broke, that churches didn't do this before it was mandated so much as being sensitive to the needs for accessibility as much as bringing in every last dollar of donations even if it meant they came in wheelchairs or were wheeled down on a stretcher from the hospital.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by Devanchya:

When we built our church, oh must be almost 20 years ago now, we put everything on one level, and the Congregational area has ramps instead of steps. There's even a 'Walker Buddy' system in place where the Ushers will put your walker to the back of the church if you want to sit in the middle of the pews

I'll point out, because I don't like organized religion and the filter on my keyboard broke, that churches didn't do this before it was mandated so much as being sensitive to the needs for accessibility as much as bringing in every last dollar of donations even if it meant they came in wheelchairs or were wheeled down on a stretcher from the hospital.

Our church is small.. but we do things to help those with physical needs (and anyone for that matter).

We have greeters that open and hold doors for people. They also help people enter the building if needed (seniors with a cane or walkers for example). We have had a couple people with wheel chairs enter and they had no problem getting into the building over the 3.75" lip

So churches do try.. it sometimes comes to the lack of funds, so we do things in other ways than the official way.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

I don't deny there are altruistic motivations I just don't believe that there is no financial motivation as well. But that's just me being a pessimistic prick as always.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

Wrong. Most of the churches in Peterpatch became accessible many years ago. I know we did full accessibility at the church I served in Lakefield in the 1990's. Why? Because it was the right thing to do and long, long before it was mandated.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by DKS:

Wrong. Most of the churches in Peterpatch became accessible many years ago. I know we did full accessibility at the church I served in Lakefield in the 1990's.

Which I don't dispute.
said by DKS:

Why? Because it was the right thing to do and long, long before it was mandated.

Which I impugn a financial motive as well whether you want to admit it or not.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

Why? Because it was the right thing to do and long, long before it was mandated.

Which I impugn a financial motive as well whether you want to admit it or not.

There was no financial "motive". The project cost $155,000. It certainly did not recoup that by any stretch of the imagination. It made the building more accessible and more open to the community for use. It also allowed us to bring the caskets of the faithful into the church sanctuary for celebration of the resurrection.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by DKS:

There was no financial "motive".

Of course there would be no overt motive "apparent". The fact that they spent so much does not mitigate their motive just their abilities to budget or scope of project.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

There was no financial "motive".

Of course there would be no overt motive "apparent". The fact that they spent so much does not mitigate their motive just their abilities to budget or scope of project.

You assign malice where there was none. And I was there. The primary mover was the late Don Hendren, a local funeral director who had one of the first motorized wheelchairs I ever saw. Don was the first. There were many others who made (and make) use of it.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by DKS:

You assign malice where there was none.

You equate financial motive with malice when there is no correlation. The word you were searching for is ulterior.»en.wiktionary.org/wiki/u ··· r_motive

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira

Premium Member

Not for prophet
Or not for profit

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

Owen Sound, ON

DKS to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

said by DKS:

You assign malice where there was none.

You equate financial motive with malice when there is no correlation. The word you were searching for is ulterior.»en.wiktionary.org/wiki/u ··· r_motive

Your use of the word ,"impugn" implies lack of honesty, validity or truth, as well as malice or malevolence, and ulterior motive. There were none of these, overt or covert.
peterboro (banned)
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by DKS:

Your use of the word ,"impugn" implies lack of honesty, validity or truth, as well as malice or malevolence, and ulterior motive. There were none of these, overt or covert.

You're right I meant impune, or to impose, a financial motive.