how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jimmylegs

join:2000-09-05
Brooklyn, NY

[OOL] Cable line physically cut, possibly by Optimum for "rehab"

TL,DR: Cable line gets cut, 2 techs and many calls later it gets fixed only to find out it was cut by OOL in the first place.

When I got home Friday night my cable was out. I called for service repair, which wasn't til Sunday. I realized that my cable had been actually cut, and when the tech came out he said he couldn't fix it. I asked why and he made a lot of vague references to the ice and snow (hardly any) and how "there's more to it than it appears". He left, promising he would escalate it to somebody who could help.

To be safe, I called again to make sure something would happen. The guy on the phone promised he would get an appointment scheduled that same day. Of course I never heard back. Monday I called again and the operator said there was no record of any of this. She set up a new tech visit, promising me that the person who came out would be able to run a new line to replace the cut one.

Tuesday the guy comes out and I ask if he knows that he has to run a new line, he says nobody told him anything about it. Still he goes ahead and replaces the cable. While he does it he says he believes my cable was actually cut by someone FROM OPTIMUM. The building next to mine apparently recently had its cable redone and my building had probably been slated for "rehab", whatever that is. So they cut the cable in advance of this.

I own my home and no one had contacted me about this. The tech said if he hadn't replaced the line I would have been waiting a long time for the rehab to be completed. He finished, saying "Don't tell anyone I put this line in. If anybody asks, I just replaced the fittings."

So what happened here? Why would they cut a functioning line without a plan to immediately replace it? Or was the tech's explanation just BS? And why would OOL be mad at him for doing his job???
--
Got the Jimmy Legs Blog

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

Re: [OOL] Cable line physically cut, possibly by Optimum for &qu

How old was the orginal wiring? Sounds like they might have had problems in your area and traced it back to you. One house can cause a whole node to have problems.

jimmylegs

join:2000-09-05
Brooklyn, NY

Line had been there for over 6 years. How could my one line affect others? There is just one line going from my house to the 'box' on the pole.
--
Got the Jimmy Legs Blog

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to jimmylegs

Could have been a disconnect & the tech cut the wrong line based on an inaccurate reading of the tag at the drop. I had that happen at work, when a subcontractor for CV cut the wrong line without checking the tag number on it and we lost internet at work. I saw the guy getting into his truck when I looked out window to see if any CV marked trucks were on the street, but I was too late to get the guy. I called CV and they sent a regular tech in an hour or so who reported to me what had happened & got us up and running.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to jimmylegs

I meant how old is the wiring in your home itself? Because of how a coax network works one problem coax wire or one bad connection at a tv can cause problems on the whole node.

I have talked to a lot of outside plant guys and regular techs and it can take them months to find a problem house causing problems for the whole node.

Maybe they tracked the problem they were having on the node to your house and cut your house so that you would have to call in and schedule somebody to come in and they replaced what was causing the problem.

It could have been an accidental cut to.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to UofMiamiGrad

said by UofMiamiGrad:

Could have been a disconnect & the tech cut the wrong line based on an inaccurate reading of the tag at the drop. I had that happen at work, when a subcontractor for CV cut the wrong line without checking the tag number on it and we lost internet at work. I saw the guy getting into his truck when I looked out window to see if any CV marked trucks were on the street, but I was too late to get the guy. I called CV and they sent a regular tech in an hour or so who reported to me what had happened & got us up and running.

I've had that happen at my house as well. Could be carelessness or could be a inaccurate audit tag. It happens.
Expand your moderator at work

aannoonn

@optonline.net
reply to UofMiamiGrad

Re: [OOL] Cable line physically cut, possibly by Optimum for &qu

said by UofMiamiGrad:

Could have been a disconnect & the tech cut the wrong line

Guy at work has had CV cut his line multiple times because the tags on his line and his neighbor's are reversed.