share rss forum feed

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3

1 recommendation

[Info] Any Kindle Fire HD users here?

Thinking about getting several for the kids. They seem to offer a wide variety of apps, with more coming down the pipe every day. They currently have iPod Touch's, and it appears on first blush that the Fire HD may be a definitive improvement. Larger screen, better resolution, popular apps, etc. Any thoughts?

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-28
Flippin, AR
kudos:2

1 edit

Wife has one, she loves it but, she has one complaint.
Battery life is really low. About eight hours & it's recharge time.

EDIT: She said "it's low" battery life. I say, it's "low" compared to her regular Kindle, which lasts a couple of weeks, but it's only a "reader". No internet, or other capability to draw down the battery.
That may very well be OK battery life between charges for a device like that, I really don't know.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
reply to mattmag

While I know nothing about Kindle fires, my son got one for Christmas and he loves it. I guess they do much more now besides being a reader.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to rusdi

said by rusdi:

Battery life is really low. About eight hours & it's recharge time.

EDIT: She said "it's low" battery life. I say, it's "low" compared to her regular Kindle, which lasts a couple of weeks, but it's only a "reader".

Yes, compared to a straight Kindle or Nook e-reader, 8 hours sounds low, but actually it is pretty decent for a small tablet rusdi (I have both a Nook, and a Nexus 7 tablet).
--
Deeds, not words

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to mattmag

We ended up jumping feet first into the tablet world after having held off quite awhile.

We do not have the Kindle Fire HD, but I've seen and used 'em, and they are pretty decent. Not my first choice, but that is a personal preference.

I have a Nexus 7, and Anne has the ASUS TF300T. They are both pure Android tablets, and we each prefer ours for different uses.

I have the 7" which I find ideal for reading books, and for its easy transportabiltiy. On the other hand, for games and web surfing Anne really likes the 10.1" form factor of her ASUS tablet.

The Kindle Fire HD is by all means a good tablet, my only beef being that Amazon has really heavily altered the Android OS, which means 2 things: 1. Android updates are not adopted by Amazon. 2. The overlay does somewhat slow down tablet response.

Also, keep in mind, it does not matter which Android based tablet that you buy in that they all support the Kindle application.

On my Nexus 7, I primarily use the Nook app...because I have had a Nook account since having my first e-reader, but I also have the Kindle app installed, and can access the same books and movies that Kindle users can access.

On the other hand, the Kindle Fire will not support other e-reader apps such as Nook...the price of having a customized device. Again, I can access the Amazon app store as well as Google, but the Fire can not access Google play.

So...if you are a happy Amazon content user and have no need/desire to go outside their offerings, then the Fire HD is great, but if you want a wider range of choices for apps, books, movies etc., a more pure Android tablet may be a better choice.

At the end of the day though, most of the name brand tablets offer a pretty good experience, it is a matter of personal preference.
--
Deeds, not words

suprleg
Abracadabra
Premium
join:2004-05-06
Cypress, CA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mattmag

I got the Kindle Fire HD for one of my daughters for Christmas and she loves it. I have the Google Nexus 7 and I will say the feel of the user interface is much different than the Kindles. Both are nice and I suppose it boils down to what you get used to. Both have excellent graphics as well. Unlike some other's experiences the Kindle's battery-life seems much better to me than the Nexus. ymmv

signmeuptoo
Bless you Howie
Premium
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle
kudos:5
reply to mattmag

The big issue for some about iPods and Kindles is the fact that you almost have to use only approved/proprietary apps. It CAN matter to some folks. The ASUS tablets running Droid are more wide open. But mind you, I own none of them.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
Flippin, AR
reply to mattmag

Another plus for the Kindle. Makes it real easy to buy gifts. My son, daughter-n-law, and I get my wife Amazon gift cards on-line, and she can go crazy buying books. Of course I imagine the other brands have gift cards as well, but that Amazon store has a HUGE selection of her most favorite author(s).

Gizy
Have you thanked a soldier today?
Premium
join:2002-08-26
PNW
kudos:1
reply to mattmag

I looked at the Kindle Fire briefly.
I have an iPad 2, with the Kindle app. I wanted a color e-reader that was smaller than the iPad so the Kindle Fire seemed like a good idea, briefly. It's $160. I ended up with the Nexus 7 wifi only for $199 (for the 8GB...you can get the 16GB for the same price now and you can do HSPA for $299 for 32GB).

The Nexus 7 did all that my iPad does (Kindle, Evernote, Email, web surfing, Netflix, Hulu, etc), it's much more portable than the iPad, and it was $30 more than the Kindle Fire. My music and movies play on the Nexus 7 seamlessly. I have my iTunes on Google Music so I can stream it and I can load my movies locally to the Nexus 7. Since I'm already a tablet user and I'm hugely tied to Google the Nexus 7 made more sense for me. I love my Nexus.
--
Home of the free, because of the brave.
Please help AnySoldier
Dog Tags for Kids
Buy a soldier a cup of coffee

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
reply to mattmag

I have just a regular Kindle and love it. I have even managed to get online with it a couple of times when in the hospital. Was surprising.

Gizmo
Trust Me I'm a Professional
Premium,MVM
join:2000-08-19
In Your Mind
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

1 recommendation

reply to mattmag

My wife has the kindle fire HD 7" and loves it! The HD display is awesome, wifi and web browsing is fast, and the Dolby stereo will blow yer socks off. And most of all, customer service for the kindle is outstanding.

We've had a kindle starting with just an e-reader, then upgraded to the kindle fire and now the kindle fire HD and never saw a need to access books, apps, videos, or magazines outside of what amazon has to offer.

I have an iPad mini, but that's a different animal altogether.
--
giz~

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
Bristol, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Gizmo:

My wife has the kindle fire HD 7" and loves it! The HD display is awesome, wifi and web browsing is fast, and the Dolby stereo will blow yer socks off. And most of all, customer service for the kindle is outstanding.

We've had a kindle starting with just an e-reader, then upgraded to the kindle fire and now the kindle fire HD and never saw a need to access books, apps, videos, or magazines outside of what amazon has to offer.

I have an iPad mini, but that's a different animal altogether.

Yep, and a great point to consider is what tablet "ecosystem" if any, are you already invested in?

Anne and I already had a number of apps through google due to our smart phones, and I already had a Nook e-reader, so for us, having pure android compatibility was important from an apps viewpoint, and of course being able to use the Nook app seamlessly with my Barnes and Noble account had a large impact in our decisions tablet-wise.

As I mentioned before, I really think that as long as you go with a main-stream (not one of the bargain-basement tablet knock offs) tablet, pure Android, IOS (Ipad), Amaszon (Kindle), or Nook HD, you will get a good experience.
--
Deeds, not words

mattmag
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-04-09
NW Illinois
kudos:3
reply to mattmag

Lot's of good info here--thanks.

The biggest two concerns I have are compatibility to iPod Apps, and also streaming video via YouTube. I understand there is now a downloadable file that allows that to work, so that's one issue that shouldn't be a problem.

I also got with Amazon tech support, and they said my Amazon Prime account will support all four devices. I just pay for content once, and it can be accessed by all the Kindles via "the cloud". Another good piece of information. I was worried that it would require a separate Prime account for each.

rusdi
American V
Premium,MVM
Flippin, AR

said by mattmag:

I also got with Amazon tech support, and they said my Amazon Prime account will support all four devices. I just pay for content once, and it can be accessed by all the Kindles via "the cloud". Another good piece of information. I was worried that it would require a separate Prime account for each.

Yup. My wife can be reading a book on one Kindle, and switch to the other, and it automagically knows & displays the same page she was reading!!

She sometimes "buys" free books, and the price will go up, to "regular" price sometime in the future, but she gets to keep it on "the cloud", as you said.