Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

1 recommendation

reply to cdru

Re: Water Shut Off Valve Not Shutting Off Fully

said by cdru:

said by peterboro:

...I installed an new 3/4 ball and cock main shut-off.

I've heard of government screwing over it's citizens, but installing a new ball and cock seems a little excessive.

Yes, you're right. I must of been having some sort of subliminal homoerotic thoughts about my plumbing and as for the government we are fully socialized medicine up here, and as I could use a couple inches, I'd welcome the installation if the new one if it were longer.

wth
Premium
join:2002-02-20
Iowa City,IA
Reviews:
·Mediacom
reply to NullQwerty

said by NullQwerty:

Awesome...thanks everyone. I'm gonna give the washers a shot first and plan to do a full replace later. Unless it doesn't work in which case I'll do a full replace now

If you replace those valves, also replace those galvanized nipples, as I've seen those rust out on the inside within 30 years.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to NullQwerty

Ok, now we're replacing nipples to go along with our new ball and cock.

It's getting to sound more and more like a plastic surgery forum.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to NullQwerty

said by NullQwerty:

I'd probably use a SharkBite fitting as I don't trust my soldering skills.

Is the current one soldered in place?

NullQwerty

join:2008-12-18
united state

yep

jack b
Gone Fishing
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod
reply to NullQwerty

SharkBite fittings are not my favorite for making similar-material or ninety-degree pipe joints or for unsupported valves, but they are perfect for in-line couplings or copper to pex transitions!

They do work nicely in some cases, like in tight quarters, especially where a torch might set something inside a wall cavity on fire! ...

...or where someone isn't so sure of their soldering skills...
--
~Help Find a Cure for Cancer~
~Proud Member of Team Discovery ~

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to NullQwerty

I'd just get the quarter turn valves with compression fittings. I've never had a compression fitting fail.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to jack b

said by jack b:

They do work nicely in some cases, like in tight quarters, especially where a torch might set something inside a wall cavity on fire! ...

Buy a fireblanket and a spray bottle of water, wet wall down, put fabric behind, then blowtorch it.

BillRoland
Premium
join:2001-01-21
Ocala, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to NullQwerty

I just went through something similar, needed to shut off water to my bathroom faucet. The cold water supply valve wouldn't close completely, and the hot water supply valve was totally frozen, couldn't budge it without risking damaging the pipe. Once I shut off water at the meter, I removed them both and replaced with quarter turn ball valves. That will be my SOP each time I have to shut off a valve for something in the future until they're all replaced.
--
Ron Paul 2012 »www.ronpaul2012.com
Beyond AM. Beyond FM. (((XM)))

NullQwerty

join:2008-12-18
united state

1 recommendation

reply to NullQwerty

Gentleman. I come back to report harrowing tales of success. The beast and I grappled back and forth for minutes. I grabbed the beast by it's neck (the valve stem) but it refused to come loose. We battled bravely, till I finally chopped off it's neck (cut the pipe) and removed the beast from it's lair (took off the valve). It has since been replaced by the shark guardian (SharkBite Water Shutoff valve) and peace has been restored.

Tales of my journey will be repeated for years to come.

Thank you for your support and farewell.

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX
reply to NullQwerty

I've put red and white tags attached to the valves in/under counters in my house.

"Do not touch these valves" turn off the water at the meter in case I'm not home or incapacitated.

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
reply to NullQwerty

said by NullQwerty:

Gentleman. I come back to report harrowing tales of success. The beast and I grappled back and forth for minutes. I grabbed the beast by it's neck (the valve stem) but it refused to come loose. We battled bravely, till I finally chopped off it's neck (cut the pipe) and removed the beast from it's lair (took off the valve). It has since been replaced by the shark guardian (SharkBite Water Shutoff valve) and peace has been restored.

Drain water, make sure one end of the pipe is exposed to atmosphere pressure. Blowtorch it, and pull the fitting off. You can wipe the solder off with a dry towel and make it clean for reuse.

Normal

@videotron.ca
reply to NullQwerty

said by NullQwerty:

LOL
And I guess this is the other way of doing it.

BUT! Did you flex and suck in the gut once it was all done while the better-half proclaimed you he-man of the day as you sipped your beer?

The ending is what matters