share rss forum feed

TBBroadband

join:2012-10-26
Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

[vps] Seeking Solid VPS Host

Can anyone recommend a solid VPS host? After using one that is really cheap for a few sites that didn't need a lot of uptime, etc for testing different things and such, it has come to be slow and unusable for a lot of things, including apps that you can install on their systems via their control panel, Wordpress loads like its on a 14.4 dial-up modem and they blame the problem on my "coding". Removing the software and reinstalling did nothing to help. Service was fine last week and now nothing.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6

I've had VPS instances with Surpasshosting, Amazons EC3 and RapidVPS. had a pretty good experience with all three, but Amazon was the most flexible out of all of them. I'm still with Surpass as a colo customer now, and still fire up an Amazon instance from time to time for a sandbox.

Who were you with previously?

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·MegaPath

I am using YDGH currently. They are the ones I'm having a problem with. They even admit there is an issue and it takes up to 5 minutes for a site to load but still blame it on me and my "custom code". I don't see how anything installed using their control panel software was "custom code" that I created.

swintec
Premium,VIP
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME
kudos:5
reply to TBBroadband

have been with RapidVPS for quite a few years with very few problems.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

luma
Premium
join:2004-08-17
Port Coquitlam, BC
reply to TBBroadband

lfcvps.com - Great prices and great stable Xen VPS. They use dual E5 servers with Raid 10 storage arrays. Very reliable and they have been in business for a long time.

digitalocean.com - kind of like amazon but less expensive and better overall. Good performance and fairly good network. You can easily scale up and down with demand and pay by the hour if you wish.

stray

join:2000-01-16
Warren, NJ
reply to TBBroadband

Pay attention to the offers and reviews on »www.lowendbox.com/

For cheap and reliable I use: »www.urpad.net/ watch LEB for special offers.

Expensive, but high level of support: »www.linode.com/

You can get a free year of Amazon EC3 Micro instance - definitely will support several fairly active Wordpress sites.

If you watch LEB, »ipxcore.com/ often has sales on SSD based VPS. I grabbed a 384mb VPS for $1.75/mo. If you're willing to use Nginx rather than Apache and turn off Innodb in MySQL, this is enough memory to support a robust WP site.
--
V-Rtifacts - When Virtual Reality Was More Than Virtual

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com
reply to TBBroadband

I'm happy with Virpus Networks (www.virpus.com) My usage of a VPS is very $$$-sensitive and I had been running some services on several OpenVZ slices from ThrustVPS at $6/mo each for a 512mb slice. One of the slices started constantly doing uncommanded reboots driving me up the wall, and knowing that OpenVZ slices are sensitive to over-subscription and overages by other slices on the host node. I wanted to migrate at least the problem services over to a Xen-based VPS, but ThrustVPS's Xen offerings were out of my price range. While snooping the internet, I discovered Virpus Networks, offering a 512MB Xen-based VPS for $5/mo or $28.50/semi-annually. I immediately signed up for one and after nearly 3 months, and several tickets to their support for various things, I'm happy as a clam with them. They also offer 512MB OpenVZ slices at $4/mo. I've since signed up for several more and migrated everything off OpenVZ and gone to semi-annual billing.. Hope this helps

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

When you signed up with Virpus how long did it take them to set up the account?

dfrandin
Premium
join:2002-06-14
Las Vegas, NV
Reviews:
·Virpus.com

said by TBBroadband:

When you signed up with Virpus how long did it take them to set up the account?

Both were provisioned in under an hour...

TBBroadband

Fremont, OH

Okay. I'm awaiting details on everything. Not sure if its because of it being a Sunday or not.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC
kudos:3
reply to TBBroadband

Another vote for »www.linode.com been with them for years.
--
What the heck is a GatorKram? »www.gatorkram.com

TheTechGuru

join:2004-03-25
TEXAS
kudos:2
reply to TBBroadband

We've been using »www.spry.com for over 5 years now.
--
CompTIA Network+ Certified

atuarre
Here come the drums
Premium
join:2004-02-14
Conroe, TX
reply to TBBroadband

Yeah. Just do your research. I saw one on Low End Box, that's just started up, by some kids, from the UK. I don't care how cheap some things are, you have to realize that sometimes you need stability and longevity.

hawk82

join:2001-04-26
centralmaine
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to TBBroadband

I have one VPS with HawkHost. Support is good, usually answered within a couple of hours. Have had no outages as far as I know. Been with them for a few months. (no relation to my username)

I had a VPS with Urpad, from May 2012 to Nov 2012. I found the VPS unreliable. It (the node I assume) would randomly reboot. Sometimes my VPS wouldn't come up at all (you could ping it but no services were accessible). SolusVM sometimes could reboot it, other times not. It took several tickets to get them to fix the date and time on the node (it was off by hours, and not a timezone issue) when I first purchased the VPS.

I had a VPS with AlienLayer from Oct 2011 to May 2012. It was the most unreliable VPS ever. Constant reboots or outages. Support was pretty much non-existent when I canceled my account.

I finally realized you get what you paid for. Spend a few extra bucks and go with a provider who has a good track record, uses quality servers, and datacenters. I realize this isn't always easy to figure out though.