uniqs
share rss forum feed

Normal

@videotron.ca
reply to NullQwerty9

Re: Water Shut Off Valve Not Shutting Off Fully

said by NullQwerty9:

Hey foks,

I'm trying to replace my bathroom sink vanity. First thing I did was to shut off both the hot and cold water valves under the sink (the turn style shaped like a round honeycomb). Unfortunately, after doing so, both hot and cold water still comes out when you turn the sink on. The cold water comes out at a quick drip pace. The hot water comes out a little fasterlike you just barely have the water on (like what would come out of a water bottle if you squeezed it).

Is my only option here really to replace these valves?

No. This is quite normal.

Shut the water off either via a master off, hot-water tank or whatever you have.

Take the valve out (the part you turn with your hand as shown in the pic someone else pasted up above). Bring that with you to homedepot, or whatever hardware store, and replace the o-rings.

That's it.

Might cost you anywhere from 75-cents to 2$.

Put it back and that should be it.

I would get a pack of o-rings for everyone in the house and do them all in one shot. Might set you back a whole 2.50$ (if they are all the same).

As someone mentioned up above, rust, iron filings from the H-W tank, or your city water can accumulate around these and cause the issue. When I changed mine I let the water flow just a tiny bit to flush it out before putting the valve back in. I had quite a bit of particles.