spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

yumnoodles

@optonline.net

[WIN7] Updates installing without consent?

so i saw the update setting was install updates automatically..i forgot to change that.

anyway when i was about to shut down my machine a screen appeared and said do not power down installing updates 1 out of whatever...these are unnecessary...how do i remove it?

LLigetfa

join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON
kudos:1

said by yumnoodles :

...these are unnecessary...

How did you make that determination?
--
Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and formal education positively fortifies it. -- Stephen Vizinczey

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:3
reply to yumnoodles

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Well, as you said, you did not change the Windows update settings, so they really were not "Installed without consent". You implicitly gave consent by not changing that setting....

In any case, if you want to remove them, open control panel, then click on "System and Security" and then "Windows Update". If you look at #1 above, you will see the link "View update history" as indicated by the red arrow.

That will take you to the screen shown in #2. Click the link "Installed Updates" as indicated by the red arrow.

That will take you to the screen shown in #3.

From there, when you click on an update you will have the option to uninstall it. To figure out which ones got installed at a given time, you can sort the updates by clicking on the "Installed On" column heading.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to yumnoodles

quote:
so i saw the update setting was install updates automatically..i forgot to change that.
So it did what it was set to... So - no problem. Change the setting if you want then it won't do it.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

yumnoodles

@optonline.net
reply to yumnoodles

ok now it changed without my consent. i downloded mse and it just completely changed my setting to "check for updates automatically"

this is what i meant.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

Which, exactly, setting did you change it to?

One setting is check for updates automatically and notify, but don't install (however it's worded). Are you sure that's not what you changed it to?

I have mine set to check and notify (don't install), and it's never changed on it's own. I have MSE installed. Windows 7 64 bit.
--
The Alien in the White House

20,196 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL

1 edit
reply to yumnoodles

I know when I install Windows 7 I have seen the setting change based on the selections I make when I first install Microsoft Update.

During the install of the OS, I tell the install to not configure Windows update.

Once the OS is installed, the first thing I do is go modify the setting "Choose how Windows Installs Updates". The initial setting is "Please select an option". So, I set it to be "Never Check for Updates (not recommended)".

Once I do that, I go back to the main Windows Update screen, and go through the steps to enable "Microsoft Update", so that I can get updates not only for just windows, but for other Microsoft Products as well.

During that process, it asks a question. I forget the exact wording of the screen, but you are presented with two options. Either use Recommended Settings, or something else. I know I select "Use Recommended Settings". This is done from inside an Internet Explorer window, as the process to install Windows Update is done from a web site.

Once I select that option, it finishes the install of Microsoft Update. I then close IE, and go back to Windows Update, which is now in the process of scanning for updates.

Now, this is the important part! Whatever I did when I installed Microsoft Update changes my settings for Windows update. As I noted, I had it set to "Never Check for Updates (Not Recommended)". However, after I installed Microsoft Update, it is now set to "Install Updates Automatically (Recommended)".

So, I go in and change it right back to what I had it.

But, I do want to point this out, as it shows that when installing Microsoft Update, a choice I made in that did make a change to my Windows Update settings.

So, there may be something similar during the install of MSE that may cause the same change to happen.

--Brian
--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL
reply to yumnoodles

Whenever I go to shut down, and it wants to install updates, there is a yellow "!" icon in the shutdown button. I can then manually run Windows Update if I want to preview what is being updated.