Question everything
Premium Member
join:2008-04-05
Westfield, MA

1 recommendation

Camaro to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916
I would start here »www.smallnetbuilder.com/ they actually do real world test's IE moving the laptop to different locations in a home to judge signal, throughput etc. Plus lot's of good geek info on there to poke through.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to redbeard916

MVM

to redbeard916
What are your requirements?

redbeard916
join:2011-02-23
Folsom, CA

redbeard916

Ipv6 capable and dualband basically
cferro
join:2003-07-27
Jersey City, NJ

cferro to redbeard916

to redbeard916
I also like CNET.com for reviews on wireless router. The editor name is Dong Ngo. »www.cnet.com/8726-4_1-0. ··· =ngodong

Donut
join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI

Donut to redbeard916

to redbeard916
Have you checked ASUS? I have a DLink router and it works but the firmware is very clunky. Not really a big fan of linsys.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to redbeard916

to redbeard916
I've been using the Linksys EA4500 with the classic non cloud firmware and haven't had not one performance related problem for the past year and a half plus it supports IPv6.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to redbeard916

MVM

to redbeard916
I have the Linksys EA4500 as well, but use the cloud firmware (opinions vary widely on which firmware to employ), but like Mike, have no had a single performance issue.

Yes it is dual band and supports IPv6.

I understand that CISCO is off-loading Linksys to Belkin however, so what the future will bring to this brand is uncertain, but at any rate, the EA4500 is a solid choice.

ASUS has very solid, well performing routers as well.

D-Link is not without any merit, but I place them and Belkin somewhat below Linksys/ASUS/NetGear.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916
I have several Linksys at different locations. And have never had a problem. Linksys also seems to have a better signal quality (reaches out a bit further) than d-links. This is compared to my parents d-link setup.
Mine do have the antennas where theirs don't. Not sure if that is why mine seems to get out better.
Either way Linksys has earned my trust. Been using them since 1992 with not one problem.

Belkin is taking them over soon, so who knows what will happen then.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916

Linksys was recently acquired by Belkin, a company that is known more for commodity technology than anything else (e.g., cable adapters, audio and video cables, etc.).

One cannot be sure what will become of the Linksys products under its new owner.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Well if this happens, I'm just going to have to move to purchasing business class Cisco equipment again

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium Member
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

Robotics

Premium Member

Or stock up on their original routers while they last on sites like Amazon, etc.
I just did an order the other day to get one of the better wireless routers made easy for firmware upgrading.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

True however I already have two EA4500's and one E1200.

Defiance
Computer Elite
Premium Member
join:2002-09-11
Minocqua, WI

Defiance to redbeard916

Premium Member

to redbeard916
I like my Asus RT-AC66R.

»usa.asus.com/Networks/Wi ··· RTAC66R/