andyross
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-04
Schaumburg, IL

[FireFox] Firefox to block Silverlight and Java -- but not Flash

Saw this story on CNET:
»news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-575666···t-flash/
quote:
By default, people who want to use plug-ins with Mozilla's browser will have to manually enable them on each Web page. The reason: better security and performance.

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

Re: [FireFox] Firefox to block Silverlight and Java -- but not F

The next version of Firefox will be called Gopher.

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Gopher? Why? I'm thinking of Gopher protocol and Gopher servers, not sure how this is relevant.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

chrisretusn
Retired
Premium
join:2007-08-13
Philippines
kudos:1
Reviews:
·PLDT
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to andyross
Wish folks would reference the source.

»blog.mozilla.org/security/2013/0···plugins/

quote:
Users should have the choice of what software and plugins run on their machine. Click to Play allows users to easily choose if they wish to run a plugin on a particular site. Users can also configure sites to never run plugins or conversely always run plugins. This change puts the user in control.
I am OK with this.
--
Chris
Living in Paradise!!

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
reply to andyross
Currently blocked add-ons:
»addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/blocked/

NotTheMama
What Would Earl Do?

join:2012-12-06

1 edit
reply to chrisretusn
The only thing safer than text-only is no browsing at all. I mean, if one is going to go all paranoid, might as well go retrograde.
--
"Face piles of trials with smiles; it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave."

chachazz
Premium
join:2003-12-14
kudos:9
Reviews:
·TELUS
reply to chrisretusn
said by chrisretusn:

Wish folks would reference the source.

»blog.mozilla.org/security/2013/0···plugins/

And lead-up to Click-to-play with stable release ... »[FireFox] Click-to-Play Plugins in Firefox beta

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I don't mind text only. I rather like it. I'm a speed reader and can get info faster than a video can load or a explain things. I turn off images anyway, have to click to play flash which I like. I don't have flash ads in my face.

This site and many other fora do well as text only. You can concentrate on what you are reading. Text only with addons allowed would improve a lot of social sites, except that social sites might just ban FX.

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to chachazz
Seems like it's just one more way for browser makers to control and collect what we do online. It's not the browser makers responsibility to be parents and keep their kids er users safe. Overreaching vs responsibility, education and common sense.

Pro users like ourselves don't need this. Mozilla has gone the same way as Google with Chrome and Opera...not much different at this rate acting all big brother on us as if they know better than we do and have no control over 'features' like this anymore.

Atleast I found a way to get around Click-to-Play so to speak. I just open Blocklist.xml and remove everything under the "Pluginitems" section.

As therube pointed out above with »kb.mozillazine.org/Blocklist.xml you can also turn off updating that it does once a day and enter the updates you want from the list online.

This is what Pro users like ourselves and Corporate customers using the ESR releases need to get around this and take back control.

nwrickert
sand groper
Premium,MVM
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL
kudos:7
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to andyross
I've been using "flashblock" for years. This change just seems to do about the same thing as flashblock, but to other plugins.

I guess I still need "noscript", because javascript support is not considered a plugin.

I have no problem with this change - well, maybe I will after I see it in action, but for now it seems reasonable.
--
AT&T Uverse; Zyxel NBG334W router (behind the 2wire gateway); openSuSE 12.3 Beta1; firefox 18.0