Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

TamaraB to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline

Re: Security Flaws in Universal Plug-n-Play: Unplug, Don't Play

said by siljaline:

Kicking the tires now

You are kicking the tires from inside the car though. How do you know for sure you are protected from the outside? Only kicking the tires from the outside can tell you for sure. I have yet to see a test to do that.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

You're asking the wrong person if this GRC News tool has any transparency. These are tools of old that were as is no *Warranties, expressed, or implied.
Ask of those that have vetted this why they continue to use it and on what summations of information did they use in deciding to use it and continue recommending it's use.

MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1 to TamaraB

to TamaraB
You can use »netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ to at least test for UPNP access from the wan side .
Will be near the top of the results listing ,may have to hit + to get full details .

TamaraB
Question The Current Paradigm
Premium Member
join:2000-11-08
Da Bronx
·Verizon FiOS
Ubiquiti NSM5
Synology RT2600ac
Apple AirPort Extreme (2013)

1 recommendation

TamaraB

Premium Member

said by MrFixit1:

You can use »netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/ to at least test for UPNP access from the wan side .
Will be near the top of the results listing ,may have to hit + to get full details .

Thanks. That's the first reasonable tool I've seen to test for this UPnP flaw. Now, I have to temporarily enable Java to use it Java, that other full of holes disaster area

Cartel
Intel inside Your sensitive data outside
Premium Member
join:2006-09-13
Chilliwack, BC

Cartel to MrFixit1

Premium Member

to MrFixit1
Click for full size
said by MrFixit1:

You won't need to worry about upnp if you install JAVA!!

Berkeley have their head up their ass?
MrFixit1
join:1999-11-26
Madison, WI

MrFixit1

Do not disagree with you Sindows ,the nice thing about Firefox is how easy it is to turn Java on and off . Since I normally run the test with only one instance of FF running , and then turn Java back off , not too worried about it.

Mangix
join:2012-02-16
united state

Mangix to Cartel

to Cartel
Try doing the types of test that Netalyzr does without Java. I dare you. I double dare you.

At the end of the day, Java requires less investment of resources to get one thing to run in multiple places(browsers, OSes, etc...).

Plus, Java will only mess you up if you allow it to run on other sites. The choice is yours.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint to TamaraB

to TamaraB
NVM