how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JLR

join:2001-01-28
Auburndale, FL

[Internet] UPnP

Should I be concerned about Universal Plug and Play issues that are currently in the news when I have a secure password
protected network?

Expand your moderator at work

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:141
reply to JLR

Re: [Internet] UPnP

What issues are you referring to? If its what I think it is no...on the otherhand if there is something new link me to it real quick.

Guide_Tim

join:2012-02-28
Taft, CA
kudos:1
reply to JLR

Yea i read somewhere years back that UPnP had security issues. I have always made sure UPnP was disabled on all my Routers.
--
Taft CA Bright House Customer Since 2003 Lightning 60/5

JLR

Auburndale, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
reply to BHNtechXpert

said by BHNtechXpert:

What issues are you referring to? If its what I think it is no...on the otherhand if there is something new link me to it real quick.

»www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-···0010512/

chomper87

join:2012-02-22
Clearwater, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·CenturyLink
reply to JLR

Yes, be concerned. Secure passwords really don't matter in this case.

UPnP is on many devices including Windows. However, focus on these two devices: your router and cable modem. These are the two you can most likely disable UPnP on and which should be the easiest and most effective security measure.

The other devices may not have this UPnP setting accessible, or may require more involved tricks such as how to disable UPnP on windows XP:
»tweaks.com/windows/37087/complet···ay-upnp/

Most routers will have an easy way to disable UPnP. Just check out the manual for your router.

Supposedly there is a scanner that can indicate if there is a problem but it requires Java Runtime:
»www.rapid7.com/resources/free-se···2013.jsp

NOTE: this software may not be able to properly check your cable modem if it's in behind the router. (eg: Coax line from Brighthouse -> Cable Modem -> Router)

JLR

Auburndale, FL

thank you Chomper87 for your info.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to JLR

This should be non-impactful to most folks here but if you have any concerns you have the option of turning it off.

Earthbound

@bhn.net
reply to JLR

There is a UPNP exposure test on GRC Shields Up where it scans your IP for exposed devices.

»www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Read the note on the page and then hit proceed and then click the big yellow button. Might be worth checking out some of the other vulnerability scans as well.

bigdaddy

join:2009-11-18
kudos:2

said by Earthbound :

There is a UPNP exposure test on GRC Shields Up where it scans your IP for exposed devices.

»www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Read the note on the page and then hit proceed and then click the big yellow button. Might be worth checking out some of the other vulnerability scans as well.

For more in depth discussion on this topic. Security Now 389 Unplug UPnP

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEa43qM4JjQ

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to JLR

NO... for those using our gateways there is nothing to be concerned with. Could it be a problem for some third party devices maybe...there are ways to check for it. This is an example of a slow news week, somebody having a little information with no understanding of what they had, a need to make themselves look important and media who don't know the difference. So don't go off the deepend on this...for most it will be a non-issue and for god sakes don't freak out about anything GRC says. Over the years I've come to the conclusion that their sole purpose is to scare the hell out of people for nothing...can't tell you how many times I've had to undo what he's scared into folks.