DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to bchandler02

Re: [OK] Another day, another Cox outage

Are you using a laptop or desktop connected to the modem? Is either plugged into a wall electric outlet for power? If it's a laptop can you run it off battery for a while? I'm wondering if it's an electrical grounding/noise issue, mainly due to the description of the very short coax run between the PC and the demarc. A standalone laptop, not connected to ANYTHING but the modem can help rule this out.

Can you ping the modem 192.168.100.1 when you drop connection?
--
Two is one, one is none. If it's important, back it up... Somethimes 99.999% availability isn't even good enough.

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

I am using a desktop that is hardwired and a laptop in a docking station that is hardwired. Both run through my UPS as does the networking gear.

When they were out in November, they did have a multimeter out looking for any electrical noise on the coax and didn't find any.

Interesting theory you have - next time it happens, I'll grab one of my other laptops and check it.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DrDrew

Well that test doesn't work. The modem will not give a new IP address without a reboot.

Apparently I'm going to have another day of hell fighting this thing today.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK
reply to DrDrew

Also, no, I cannot ping it. I can continue to ping my router, but not my modem during the problem.

It's as if the modem goes offline (but lights don't reflect this). However, I found it very interesting that the agent could communicate with the modem to reset it yesterday.

CoxTech1
VIP
join:2002-04-25
Chesapeake, VA
kudos:76
reply to bchandler02

Yes, the modem must always be rebooted when connecting a different device to refresh the CPE bridging table. Our ability to connect to the modem remotely will not be affected.

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

I just called in as it happened again (2x in 30 minutes).

At first, the tech could not see the modem. I rebooted and he was able to see and said he saw the problem as the modem switching frequencies. He wasn't sure why - signal or line problem most likely - but has someone coming out in 2 hours, so at least hopefully they'll catch it during the act for once.

What would cause it to switch, and if I am bonding 4 channels, shouldn't it be able to maintain connection better via multiple channels?

bchandler02

Oklahoma City, OK

Tech just left, no problems found (surprise?).

We swapped back to my old 3010 to see if it makes any difference.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15
reply to bchandler02

So you have a router connected to the modem?

Does the problem happen without the router connected to the modem, just a single PC?