spc
Search similar:

uniqs

mark42
join:2006-02-07
Blairstown, NJ

mark42

[Exede] How is Excede in north NJ area?

We have Sprint wireless and are grandfathered into an unimited account. In the first 14 days of this months billing cycle we used 35.5 gigs. Typically get about 1.1 meg dowload speed. But there are lots of disconnects, anf long pauses. Often have to reconnect 3 or 4 times a day. And the Wrt54g3g router is a piece of junk. But it keeps on running with frequent resets and firmware reloads. On my second router with no change.

So im thinking of switching to Excede with the unlimited night time feature. Do you think Excede is a better choice than Hughesnet's 15/15 gig plan?

How good is sat service in the northewst New Jersey area?

Any input is greatly appreciated.

wizkid6
join:2002-03-31
Opelika, AL

wizkid6

You should just get a cradlepoint router and be done with it.

Exede is not worth it when you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.
xan_user
join:2004-11-18
Santa Rosa, CA

xan_user

never drop terrestrial service @1meg to get satellite.

get cradlepoint and a good yagi on the roof.
marsh_0x
join:2006-04-25
Tomahawk, WI

marsh_0x to mark42

to mark42
said by mark42:

In the first 14 days of this months billing cycle we used 35.5 gigs.

So im thinking of switching to Excede with the unlimited night time feature. Do you think Excede is a better choice than Hughesnet's 15/15 gig plan?
Any input is greatly appreciated.

Why would you consider yourself a candidate for Gen4 ?

Because I can have the 9000 (for some odd reason) and 3G for mobile use.

Almost a year now with Exede has been a real trip.
Using HN speed test always 13-15,900kb/s.
TMN usually 19-21mb/s, only twice have I seen congestion that lasted only 20 minutes.
Do I feel cheated with only 8mb/s.

Last month switched from Dish Network to direct to Exede for the 5 hour »www.exede.com/internet-p ··· ree-zone
They even waived the early termination, precious...

mark42
join:2006-02-07
Blairstown, NJ

mark42

Well I got things sorted out. Most if not all of the problems we were having were tied to the WRT54G3G-ST router. I have two of these, and they both have the same problem.

I noticed that when the laptops got disconnected, the desktop w/ethernet cable stayed connected. Switched routers and still same problem. So I bought a new dual band gigabit router to handle the WI FI, and connected the WRT54G3g-ST to it like a modem (with WIFI turned off). Problem solved. No more disconnects, and when a genuine Sprint disconnect happens, the router auto connects again in about 30 seconds or so.

I have not had to reboot modems or disconnect/reconnect once since making this change.

And its not unusual to get 2.0+ Mbps sustained download speeds now. Another plus is the whole system is now gigabit and large files move in and out of the server in minutes rather than hours.

Thanks for all the input!
mark42

mark42 to xan_user

to xan_user
said by xan_user:

get cradlepoint and a good yagi on the roof.

I have an amp and pannel antenna in the attic. Real inpoint signal. Works good. The Cyfer amp is amazing. Without it, there was practically no signal.