uniqs
share rss forum feed

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2

[Apps] K9 Mail app - sync question

I'm not sure that this is specifically a K9 issue or a sync/push issue. What happens is, when I receive an email, I get a notification, which is fine. If I'm using my desktop and READ the new emails and in some cases, delete a message or messages, K9 doesn't update (in the background) with these changes. I have to open the app, the now read or deleted messages are visible briefly, and then it quickly syncs and catches up.

Why does it do this ? Gmail, for example, operates properly.

Koil
Premium
join:2002-09-10
Irmo, SC

»github.com/k9mail/k-9/wiki/Frequ···anchor14

quote:
What is the difference between pushing and polling?

Depending on what type of account you have configured, K-9 may support either push or poll for fetching new mail (see Account settings > Fetching mail). At this time, K-9 only supports push for IMAP accounts. Polling refers to the mail client periodically asking the mail server for new mail, on some configured time increment. Pushing refers to the mail client keeping an open connection to the mail server, so that the server can inform the client of new mail as soon as it is received. Pushing typically uses more battery for a few reasons. First, when you have any account configured to push, this keeps an Android service running at all times. This service keeps 1 open connection to the mail server for each folder configured to push (which also uses battery power). And lastly, pushing will typically lead to more frequent communications between the client and the server.
I think this is likely the root of it. I'd look for options about auto-polling intervals.
--
I am only one, but I am one. I cannot do everything, but I can do something. And I will not let what I cannot do interfere with what I can do.- Edward Everett Hale

My Blog - Raising Connor

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC
reply to Hall

This may also solve your problem:

»groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro···YP6CfU90

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

said by Koil:

This may also solve your problem:

»groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro···YP6CfU90

That's more of the opposite problem. Changes done in K9 don't sync back to Google Mail.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Koil

said by Koil:

»github.com/k9mail/k-9/wiki/Frequ···anchor14

I think this is likely the root of it. I'd look for options about auto-polling intervals.

I'm using "push", which I like. Emails show up on my phone immediately. It seems as though "push" only tells clients about NEW messages though, not all changes.

I may try polling for a while but I'll have to find a good frequency of when to set it up for.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH
reply to Hall

More details, at least with how the GMail app does things.

I just sent a test email to my GMail account. In my status bar, I get a notification that there's a new message. In my web browser on a PC, I delete that new message from GMail and watch the notification in the status bar go away ! That's how it should work with "push".

K9 is set up the same way (I think) although it does have various options for "fetching" mail:

Folder poll frequency: Never
Poll folders: Only 1st Class folders (?)
Push folders: Only 1st Class folders (?)

These settings, I think, apply to actions I do in K9:

Sync server deletions - Remove messages when deleted on server (checked)
When I delete a message: Delete from server
Erase deleted message on server: Immediately

Koil
Premium
Irmo, SC

See, I think thats where the thing about adding your trash folder as one of your checked folders comes into play, as well as maybe that "Folder poll frequency" thing.

Try adding your trash folder from your gmail acct to K9