spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Coreyb

join:2013-01-30

Wireless Internet Pole Mounted

Hi I was looking at getting wireless internet installed and was told that I need to have a pole in my yard about 15 feet high to do so. Has anyone else had to do something similar? Apparently it can't sway to much and needs to be able to withstand a ladder placed on it for install and repairs.How did you get it done? Anyone have any suggestions on how I could get a pole properly installed?

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:10

That company that is doing your wireless install should be able to do the pole install for you as well.

Coreyb

Sadly they don't believe me I wouldn't be asking for input if they offered a service to do so. They said it was up to me to get the pole installed.

JCohen
Premium
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by Coreyb:

Sadly they don't believe me I wouldn't be asking for input if they offered a service to do so. They said it was up to me to get the pole installed.

See if they can recommend any local companies that can do the pole install.

----

The only pole that I've ever had to put up was for a basketball net, for that I dug a hole got some cardboard tube, see pic below. Put the tube into the hole, the pole into the tube, I support the pole with some guy wires and some big stakes, and than pour in concrete.

Since my basketball pole was only about 12ft tall we dug the hole about down about 3ft.

I used something like this.

Coreyb

Yea I read that I should dig about 3-4 feet down and such, thanks for the tips. Still looking to see how else I can make sure it doesn't sway, maybe brackets of some sort? Wondering if I can find a company locally who could install it for me. What type of companies do that type of work? Anyone Know?

Grappler

join:2002-09-01
Ottawa, ON
reply to Coreyb

They probably mean 15 feet AGL (above ground level), in which case you can just strap a 10 foot pole to your chimney much the same way you would a TV antenna. This is easily serviced while standing on the roof and gives you more than the 15 feet, probably closer to 25 feet.

Coreyb

Problem is the signal is in a specific place and we aren't sure if it will work if the pole is mounted where our house is. They will be coming out again to test on the roof, but as of right now they just want the pole in our yard.I did clarify with them and they said the pole just needs to be 15 feet long out of the ground, so I need exactly about a 18 foot one for 3 feet to be in the ground.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

4 edits

1 recommendation

Do you know anyone with a cherry-picker truck who can lift you up to different heights to test whether the height they are telling you is adequate? WiFi signals run into what are known as Fresnel Zone problems due to obstructions even slightly below the clear line of sight. So your pole may have to be taller than they say.

If you have some scaffold frames available, you could construct a scaffold that will get you that high for testing no problem - just brace it (or guy wires) as much as you can.

Here's what I suggest for a pole:
1) get a local steel supplier to take a 3-4" square or round thickwall pipe and weld a cap on the top

2) Weld a large flat 1" thick plate to the bottom of the pipe. Drill a 1"+ diameter hole in the plate to allow wires to be fished through. Also have four 3/4" holes drilled near the corners of the plate for mounting bolts.

3) Find a grommet/sleeve of say 3/4" diameter and drill a hole near the top of the pipe for the wires to run through. Install the grommet/sleeve. These 1st 3 steps should be done at the fabrication shop. Get the shop to give you a cardboard template of the base plate - including the location of the mounting bold holes.

Or if using a square pole, the shop can cut a larger round/rectangular hole on one side at the top, and on another side at the bottom of the pole for access. You'd have to find some way of capping these openings to keep critters/weather out.

4) Pour a concrete base using the sonotube idea. Run a conduit up through the centre of the concrete and have the conduit bend so you can run the wires through conduit to the house 12" underground. The hole for the pier MUST extend to below the frost line in your area - typically 4-5' deep.

5) When you are pouring the concrete, set four 8" long mounting bolts in the concrete so they stick out of the top of the pour by about 3". Use bolts with heads embedded in the concrete. Make sure that the bolts align with the holes in the bottom plate welded to the pipe. Make sure the bolts are perfectly plumb as the concrete sets.

6) Get the pole delivered. They should bring it with a crane truck. Make sure you have a sturdy wire-pulling string run through the pole before you mount it - the string should be 4x the height of the pole, with 1/3 of the string hanging out of the upper grommeted hole, and 1/3 hanging out the bottom of the pole. This will allow you to tape your wires to the string and forward/back feed them (leave the string in the pipe when you're done- and accessible at the top - in case you ever need to feed new wires).

7) You have two choices how to mount it to the concrete pier - adjustable or non-adjustable.
Non-adjustable is just sliding the mounting plate/pole asembly over the cast-in-place bolts and using nuts & washers to tighten it down.

Adjustable mounting is where you first install a large nut and large washer on each of the bolts, then lower the pole onto the bolts, finally placing another washer & bolt on the upper side of the mounting plate. Then you can adjust the upper/lower nuts to bring the pole perfectly plumb.

If you are feeding 120v AC to the top of the pole, then that must be fed in separate conduit from ethernet cables. If that's the case, you might want to run it on the outside of the pole inside EMT pipe to protect it from critters, or run it inside the pole also in EMT to prevent cross-talk between the AC line and the ethernet cable. If you run it inside the pole, then you have to remember to run a 2nd conduit through the concrete pier and to meet electrical code for burial distance and other things.

Coreyb

Thank you that's some really detailed and good advice. I'll have to see what something like that will cost as it's for only a 10mbps connection I'm not really looking to spend a whole bunch of money for this. However If it's reasonable then I will do it. Some of the ideas and such i've looked up seem pretty reasonable, I might end up doing a wooden post instead depending on the cost of the pole.

Coreyb

reply to Coreyb

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to give me some idea's, greatly appreciated. Now I just got to wait and hear back from the ISP and see what I can do. I'm hoping I can mount it to my house and still get reception as it will be much cheaper and easier then putting up a pole/post.

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:5
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

Here's what I suggest for a pole:

You could also find out from your local electrical supply house how much a light pole (the kind used in a parking lot) would cost sans light (they're sold separately). They're pre-painted, can have a rust preventative sprayed on the inside, and have the flange plate, j-bolt diagrams for the base, etc. included.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

MaynardKrebs
Premium

+1
but it might be better to specify a pole used for pathway lighting (ie. like around a park or hotel) which may not be as heavy duty as a parking lot pole.

zong
Premium
join:2005-07-21
Scarborough, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·mycybernet.net
·Switchworks
reply to Coreyb

This would still require digging a hole, but I've used these for radio installations before:

Channel Master Telescopic Masts
»overtheair.saveandreplay.com/OTA_Mounts.asp

In your case, for 15' above ground you would need the
CM 1620 (20 Foot)

You would need to, should anyhow, use guy wires. But at 15' above ground, depending on the weight of the radio, you could probably get away without them. Great and allows for servicing of the antenna.

The other option is to install a good old fashioned supported or non-supported (non supported is way more expensive but if you don't want to use guy wires...) three legged antenna mast.

Coreyb

reply to Coreyb

yea thanks for the more replies very good input. The radial is actually pretty small about the size of a piece of paper, and very light.But we need it to be high enough for signal and these are the options that have been presented to me, since it also needs to be able to withstand a ladder.

MaynardKrebs
Premium

A sturdy mast is required for WiFi. TV signals can be picked up while a mast is swaying, bu WiFi is much more sensitive to having a mast that doesn't sway due to the low radiated power levels WiFi is restricted to.

funny0

join:2010-12-22
reply to Coreyb

meanwhile everyone was posting a giant bulldozer coincidently came and knocked it over and then disappeared....

Coreyb

What, lol?